Ninety-One

Sam dropped his head and sighed. "Mom, I-"
"No." Mary stemmed her hands in her hips. "You worked so hard for your marriage and now you're throwing it away."
"I'm not," Sam said. "I just don't know what that curse really does."
Mary shook her head. "Samuel, we are so close to Christmas and if you two don't get your stuff together before that, I will tear you a new one."
"Mom-"
"Go!"
Sam sighed and looked for Gabriel. Obviously, he'd find him in the kitchen, leaning over a plate of sugar cookies. Sam sat down opposite him and sighed once more.
"Don't even bother," Gabriel said. "I'm still mad."
"Yes," Sam said. "But..." He watched the table and hesitated. "I don't want to argue. I love you, and I don't wanna lose this."
Gabriel clenched his jaw. "Well, guess what. I don't wanna lose you." He crossed his arms and hid his face in them. "I want us to have a future and you're throwing it away."
"Gabe, I swear, I'm working on a fix. Rowena is. I promise." He ran his hand over Gabe's arm. "I'll even wear a stupid Christmas sweater for you."
Sam was sure he saw tears sparkling in Gabe's eyes. He pulled Gabe up and wrapped his arms around him. "I love you so much," Sam said. "We will fix this."
"I can't lose you, Sammy." Gabe's voice was brittle and husky. "I just got you back."
Sam pressed his lips on Gabe's forehead and picked him up. "Let's prepare some Christmas stuff." He walked to their bedroom, closed the door and set him down on the bed. "You can decide."
"I want a tree." With a snap, a small pine tree appeared in the corner of the room. "And we need stockings."
Sam set down and watched Gabe go down on the room, putting decorations everywhere. He smiled and leaned back. "Babe, can you snap me a cup of tea? My throat hurts." The cup appeared on the nightstand. Sam shrugged. "Thanks." He took a large sip and watched as Gabe kept on decorating. It was nice to see someone he loved doing something they love.
"Sammy, what do you think?" Gabe crawled into bed and put his head on Sam's chest. "I love it, but I want to hear your opinion."
"You did great." Sam smiled and drank more tea. "Very Christmassy."
"I love it." Gabe closed his eyes. "Your lungs sound concerning."
"Can you try healing me?" Sam watched him. "I mean, you're an archangel."
Gabe set his hand on his chest. It glowed, small heatwaves hit him. Gabe frowned and sat up. "That's weird."
"What is?"
"I can't heal it." Gabe popped open a few buttons on Sam's shirt and repeated the procedure. "I can feel something is wrong, but I can't fix it."
Sam furrowed his brows and sat up. "I'll call Rowena."
"Tomorrow, please." Gabe cuddled onto his chest. "I don't wanna share right now. I love my hubby and I didn't hug him in two days."
Sam laughed. "Tomorrow." He ran his hand up and down Gabe's back. "We should think about Christmas presents."
"I want a huge teddy bear!" Gabe exclaimed.
"I meant for the kids," Sam laughed. "But you'll get your bear."
"Brie really, really likes yellow, and she likes the car plushie." Gabe smiled. "And Raph likes the bee."
"How about a truck plushie? Do those exist?" Sam googled. "And maybe a new pair of sweaters for them?"
"What do we get for Serah?" Gabe asked.
Sam stared at the wall trying to come up with something. "Uhm. Geez, I wish I was a teenage girl."
"Should we ask Jack if he can ask her?" Gabe asked.
"Probably," Sam said. "I'll ask him tomorrow at breakfast."
"Such a busy man." Gabe pressed a kiss on his chest. "That's cute."