Fifteen

Serah held her mug close to her lips, eyes staring against the wall. Dean entered the room. "Good morning."
Serah just hummed a displeased noise.
"Not an early bird?" Dean suggested.
"It's noon."
"And you're grumpy."
Serah looked up at the older Winchester, a faint smile on her lips. "I didn't sleep well. In fact, I didn't sleep at all while you and Cas were out."
"Why? What happened?" Dean filled a mug with the coffee Serah had brewed and sat opposite her.
"Uhm." She couldn't just say that she heard her dads have their first night together in 17 years and that they enjoyed it more than Serah had wished for. "Migraine."
Dean took a sip and put the mug down. "As long as you're better now," Dean said.
Serah watched her coffee for a brief moment before her attention was redirected.
"Morning," she heard.  Sam entered the kitchen in a shirt and sweatpants, hair messed up.
"Good morning," Serah mumbled. They changed a look and Sam knew immediately what was up. He sat down next to his brother. "How was your night?"
Sam watched his daughter while his cheeks heated up. "Good," he replied quietly.
"Where's Dad?" Serah asked putting down her mug.
"Asleep," Sam mumbled.
Dean put on a confused look. "Angels don't need sleep," he said.
"And you don't need two servings of bacon but that doesn't stop you from eating them."
Dean watched his younger brother. "Why is everyone in a bad mood this morning?"
"No idea," Serah replied and drank the last bit of her beverage before lifting herself from the chair. "But I'll be out today."
"Where are you going?" Sam asked.
"None of your business." Serah put her the mug in the sink.
"I think it is. Where are you going? Do you need a ride?"
"I'm going to Omaha and no, I don't."
Sam watched the nephilim leave the room. She headed to her room and quickly changed clothing before grabbing her bag and walking towards the door.
"Serah, wait." Sam followed her. "I'm not gonna let you go alone."
"I'm a big girl," Serah sighed and climbed the staircase.
"Maybe Sam's right," Dean replied, probably still in the kitchen. "Also, if you took out Michael that easily you're basically a ticking bomb."
Serah laughed. "First of all, I've been a ticking bomb for 17 years and I was fine. Second of all, how do you know?"
"Cas told me."
"Obviously. Anyway, I'm fine. I have myself under control." She shouldered her bag and pulled out her phone. "Sam has my number. If I kill someone, I'll call you."
She blew Sam a kiss and left the house. She took the bus to the station where the next bus took her on the three-hour ride to her home town. Indie music came from her headphones and her eyes followed the cars on the other lane. She was excited to finally meet her best friend again. Her excitement made the time go faster and faster. She didn't need to take the bus, she could have flown but Nate insisted on picking her up from the station. She spotted the boy from a long distance. He wore a gray and white baseball-tee and black jeans that had larger holes than patches of fabric. He combined that outfit with a gray beanie and his nerdy black glasses. 
Serah got off the bus and approached him. Immediately, he wrapped his arms around her and picked her up. "Hey there, Angel Face."
Serah chuckled. He had called her Angel Face since they were 14 and Nate caught her reading up on angels. Family history and things. "Hey, Nate."
He frowned. "You're boring." He let her go and watched her outfit. "Aww, did you put something special on for me?"
Serah blushed. "I didn't," she replied. She wore a simple green sweater and light jeans shorts. Maybe she had put a little more thought into her clothing than she usually did, but she wasn't dressing up for him. Not consciously. "Let's get some lunch. I'm starving."
They left the station and walked down the street. Serah had walked down this street more times than she can count since the Ellerbees loved their vacation and Serah obviously joined them. Thanks to them she saw all sorts of countries other teenagers could only dream of. Except for Amie.
"So, what did I miss?"
When they arrived at the diner, Nate was already telling her obscure stories that allegedly happened the past few weeks. They talked for hours until the sun disappeared and the dark night sky showed up. Nate insisted on bringing her to the bus station. 
Soon after they arrived at a gate that led to a bunch of gardens surrounded by an old wall. Immediately, she climbed the wall as if a primal instinct was forcing her.
"You're gonna fall," Nathan warned her when the nephilim balanced on the bricks.
"I'll only fall in your arms." She giggled.
Nathan soon told her more about the recent events. Events that definitely didn't happen. Nevertheless, Serah laughed. She always laughed about Nate's stories, and jokes, and general nonsense.
"I swear! She keyed Elliot's dad's car."
"But she didn't write the word 'Douchebag', Nate!"
"She did!"
Serah threw her head back in laughter. Suddenly, she lost balance, she fell. Nate tried to react but he wasn't fast enough. She fell onto him, and they both landed on the ground. When Serah watched the wall from the ground, a red streak was running along the edge. Then, she saw the large rip in her left calf. She would have healed that, but not in front of Nathan.
"Wait, here." He lifted himself up and helped her to the near bus station. She sank on the bench.
"Don't worry," he announced. "I got First aid stuff in my bag." He handed her the bandages, and a clueless face spread across her face.