Chapter 1: Morning

Once upon a time, in the city center of Seoul, stood an enormous white mansion. Ray of sunshine scattered all over the sky but a cool breeze kept the temperature in balance. Birds were chirping softly on their nests. Butterflies and bees flying around the flowers while the squirrels were running on the branches of the trees, with nuts between their teeth.

*clock chiming*

The hour hand just hit seven o'clock in the morning. The exact time when a beautiful lady passed by the garden's bridge while humming a lovely song. The chosen melody for today was the song of Blackpink titled, 'Really'.

“... Ah, such a beautiful sight to see, isn’t it?” Uttered by a delicate voice. Having strict parents made wandering around the manor her routine for years and yet, she still finds the garden a marvelous place to be but not only her. “H-hey! NO! You don’t eat that! Leave that poor squirrel alone, Dalgom!”

*Arf*

“Bad dog!”

And before the dog gets the scolding he deserves, Princess Jisoo, your breakfast is ready.” A brunette announced from a distance. Her head tilted down as a sign of respect.

“Ah yes, thank you but how many times do I need to tell you to stop bowing? Quit being formal around me.The purple-haired princess crossed her arms as she shuffled towards the brunette.

But–” The brunette was about to address the new protocols and regulations but didn't get the chance to finish her sentence because a finger was shoved onto her lips, forcing her to renounce her words.

“Shh! Don’t speak, I know just what you’re saying so please... I’ll go nuts if I hear those again. I get it, okay. I do, but you are like a family to me, Jennie. We grew up together if you just haven’t forgotten that fact yet.” Jisoo cupped Jennie's face before squeezing those fluffy cheeks.

“Of course I did not, but–” Jennie's argument was not bound to be heard because this time, not just a single finger shut her up, it was a whole hand that covered almost half of her face.

Hep! Stop with the buts, it makes me hungrier... Come on, I don’t want the chicken to keep waiting to be savored by the one and only, me.Jisoo clapped her hands, excitedly, before pulling Jennie inside the large dining area.

The brunette ran along as she laughed at her childish behavior. “Sometimes, I doubt that you are in your twenties.”

“Well, it’s hard to have such a babyface.” Jisoo beamed, making Jennie giggle at her unbelievable confidence.

Arriving at the dining area, the princess took her usual seat and was ready to start devouring the delicious cuisine right before her eyes when she noticed that Jennie was leaving along with the other maids. The reason behind it always makes her frown. It was simply absurd. Her parents, Sachzna and Teagan, instructed that housekeepers, drivers, chefs, or any low-class people were not allowed to eat with them or even stand around while they were eating.

“Ahem~ Where do you think you’re going? Jisoo questioned, immediately dragging Jennie to sit beside her.

The brunette was not only startled at the impact, but also at the fact that it was her first time sitting on a gold-plated dining chair and not to mention, eating with the princess. The consequence of this simple act was brutal, but Jisoo did it anyway. After all, she knew that the CCTV camera inside the dining area was under maintenance because she kept messing with it until it broke for the umpteenth time.

Before you oppose again, I’ll repeat it to you. I know the rules however, it will not prevent me from wanting you to eat with me. It’s booooring eating alone, Jisoo exaggerated with a pout. “And will you relax? Stop making that face, its not like you are going die or something.” She gently tapped Jennie's shoulder. Everyone sit down and eat with me.” The women who were wearing black dresses, white aprons, and hairbands of some sort, exchanged glances. In their eyes were contemplation, worry, and anxiousness. To obey the princess was a golden rule, but Jisoo's request cannot be fulfilled for they might lose their job.

But princess–” Once again, the brunette was ready to fight her way out of it. The consequence of this invitation was not something that can be taken lightly.

“Oh please, no more buts! If you say that again, I swear I will kiss you!” The purple-haired threatened. A smirk plastered on her face, making Jennie pursed her lips in an instant. This was also something that can't be taken lightly.And don’t worry, my parents said that they will be gone for three weeks so you all can breathe! Jisoo announced, excitedly. Everyone around her let out a deep sigh, relieved that their terrifying bosses were away even in just a short period. “Everyone, let’s eat.”

All of them started eating as they chatted about something that happened in their lives, enjoying the temporary freedom.

=====
Jisoo and Jennie were done eating but stayed at the dining area caught up in their interesting conversation. They were both happy with each other's company.

“... And then? What’s new?” Jisoo inquired. She's been out a couple of times but can't go to places she wanted to visit as she was always reminded by her father that the outside world was a dangerous place for someone like her.

“Oh, princess. There is a newly opened carnival here in the city. I am sure you will like it. A lot of things can be done like you can ride Ferris wheel, bumper car, roller coaster ride, and many more,” Jennie was daydreaming while smiling as she tells the story. “And, uh, you can also play games which have a price of stuff toys, small and huge ones.”

Really? I hope I can go~ Jisoo pouted.

I hope too. I’ve been there thrice already, but I still want to go back,” Jennie uttered, too proudly for her liking. When she looked at Jisoo, all the blood on her face evaporated. W-what’s the m-matter? Stammering to say those words as panic engulfed her whole being.

Jisoo was holding her sobs and as well as her breath, which made her face turned bright red. ‘Don’t cry.’ Two words that kept repeating inside her head. But the mixed emotions and the sickening rules that she had to follow for the rest of her life, made her helpless.

Undoubtedly, the princess was jealous. Jennie has a simple life. The freedom to go wherever and do whatever she wanted. To have fun without feeling guilty that she's going to be disappointing anyone. However, she was not just envious. Jisoo was also angry. She was furious at the fact that all of this was because when she was still fourteen, her father selfishly arranged her marriage to a prince and it frustrates her that she can't experience living like a normal teenager who attends university, travel around the world, and party with friends even just before her marriage.