Chapter 2: Her story

Jennie's POV

Upon seeing princess Jisoo's face earlier, a sting of pain pricked my heart. A girl's dream was to live in a huge mansion, to eat delicious foods until the stomach can take no more, to spend money on fancy things like clothes and expensive jewelry, and to have someone take care of everything. In simplicity, luxury. No worries, nothing. However, growing up with her made me realized that being a princess was far from those fairytales we used to hear as a child. In reality, no prince can rescue a princess. It was all about rules, protocols, and whatnot. Titles were just a huge weight that no one wants to lift.

*sigh*

All Jisoo wanted was to do normal things that a teenager would usually do, but the thing was, she can't. Well, she's rich and soon-to-be part of a royal family, the Kim. It's the most awaited union, the Kim-Kim wedding. I'm not sure how or what or why, but that last name was notable in town. I, myself, was a Kim but sadly, royalty doesn't run through my veins. And if I will be reborn, I'll beg the almighty to make me princess Jisoo's real sister. She was a deadly prankster but has the sweetest heart. Such a jolly person. But behind those smiles and laughter, her whole being was lonely, broken, lost, or whatever term it's called. I'm just grateful because she's open about her feelings to me. A nobody that can only lend her a shoulder to cry on. Letting her whimper for hours until she gets tired and falls asleep while caressing her face, or stroking her hair, or humming a soothing song was the only thing I can do.

Placing a soft kiss on her crown, I said. “Tomorrow, you will pretend that you are okay again... I’m sorry I can’t do anything for you.” Imprisoned and controlled were two of many words I can use to describe her situation. If I were in her place, I will just bawl my eyes out all day and let the loneliness consume my whole being. I envy her for being such a strong woman.

On moments like this, being used as a peonage of my parents when I was ten made me grateful. Not because I became a slave, but since I've never felt I was one. Princess Jisoo's not like the other princesses I had met, those were just spoiled brat and rude while she's more like an angel that was sent from above. Always treating everyone fairly even if she receives punishment for being too kind. She's different from everyone else. Her two older siblings weren't the kindest, but I know they care. They were just either out of the country for personal matters or busy running their family businesses that's why Jisoo's left alone most of the time, well, all the time.

Seeing how forlorn she was, I decided to stick by her side. I would talk to her, teach her dance, sing at the top of our lungs, or do something silly around the mansion which by the way, earned me a spot on sir Teagan's hate list, saying that I'm a bad influence on her daughter. His goal was to kick me out, but thankfully, Jisoo wouldn't let him.

“Dalgom, get that,” I commanded the white Shih Poo dog. Biting the book, he walked towards me, placing it on my lap. “Good dog.”

Since the princess was homeschooled, she allowed me to borrow her books. I can't go to school due to lack of money that's why she tagged me along with her lectures whenever possible, secretly of course. I learned how to write and read. Just the basic but at least, I can do it now.

Jisoo told me that she can send me to a normal school, but I kept refusing her offer. I don't have the heart to go to school every day, have fun, make new friends and laugh around, knowing that she's stuck here feeling sad, alone, and sorry for herself. She's the kindest person I've ever met so I don't want to be one of the reasons why she would feel those things. I want to be her protector.

=====
Jendukie~” Jisoo poked my cheek. She just woke up. I guided her to her room earlier because she's about to cry and I know she doesn't want anyone to see her at that state.

Yes?” I asked, lowering the book I'm reading, and showed her my gummy smile. No question ask regarding what triggered her breakdown this time because I know it's not right to mingle.

I’m sorry.” Princess Jisoo apologized that caught me off guard. It's her first time apologizing to anyone. I'll know because I'm always around. She didn't even say that word to her father. Well, not that he deserves it— A monster that raised his hand on women and was blinded by power and money doesn't deserve anything. It's just that I didn't expect to be the first one to hear it. Not to be a little exaggerated but hearing sorry that has a sad tone on it from someone who gave me a reason to enjoy my life, surprised me.

Why would you apologize to someone like me, princess? What are you sorry for?I asked, curious. Because in the first place, she didn't have to. It's just me, her servant. And second, she treated me like a human being and not some little-annoying-useless-scumbag that my father used to call me so there's no valid reason.

I am not your responsibility anymore. You’ve done paying your family’s debt a year ago but yet you are still here, stuck with me... Listening to my problems, going through hard times following rules, and staying by my side so I am sorry...” The sadness and the way her voice cracked melted my heart.
Her playing with her fingers like a child, who was guilty of something, was such a cute sight, but at the same time, it was heartbreaking because that cuteness was just masking the pain she was feeling.

I held her hand, gently squeezing it. I chose to stay because I want to be with you so don’t feel bad about it. It’s my decision and I don’t want to miss you too much. You know, when I leave, I will never get the chance to see you again especially since you are getting married and moving out. I clarified, my tears already left my eyes and so was hers. The thought of not seeing her sent shivers to my spine. I got attached to her and we may not be related by blood, but I love her like my own sister.

Jisoo has been through a lot. I witnessed all of her dilemmas and sufferings that's why I'm willing to sacrifice everything even my happiness and myself just to make sure she's delighted. She deserves more than she's having and even those things she's lacking... She deserves to live, to explore, to be young, wild, free, and enjoy her life...

I may sound a hypocrite if I say that money wasn't the answer to everything since I'm poor and I needed money to survive, but having a lot of it doesn't always mean happiness. I believe that Jisoo deserves better, better than all of this but of course, we can't do anything about it because Sir Teagan was a very powerful man. With just a snap of his fingers, he can ruin anyone, even her daughter. He's sick in the head. I just hope one day, someday, princess Jisoo will get the freedom she wanted.