lost without you

One week before

Sam and I were sitting outside his house, overlooking a corn field. The sun was setting and we were eating popsicles. The warm weather of Kansas made the night humid. Our shoulders brushed together every so often.

The summer was coming to an end and soon Sam would be going away for college. I was stuck here working at Dairy Queen for another year to try to make enough money to get into community college. I had my heart set out on being a firefighter, to help save lives. After my cousin died in a house fire when I was seven, being a firefighter was all I ever thought about. Though Sam wanted to be an architect, he's really good at math and drawing. He's always been interested in buildings and how they're made.

"When do you leave again?" I asked. I already knew the answer. In fact I had it written down on my calendar the day and time he was leaving. I just wanted to give him a chance to say he wasn't going anymore.

"In six days," Sam said smiling sadly. He finished his popsicle and was now biting on the wooden stick. I sighed.

"That's so soon," I said. He patted my back. We made eye contact through the dark. His eyes seemed to sparkle, light blue against a dark background.

"You're coming to the airport with me right?" Sam asked.

"Of course Sam. I wouldn't miss it for the world," I confirmed.

We sat in silence after that just enjoying each other's company. Soon we wouldn't be able to do this. Hang out in his backyard eating popsicles. Or run through the corn fields trying to catch wild animals. Or jump in my pool with all our clothes on. Or hang out at the mall to search for cute girls.

Instead we'll be FaceTiming each other while laying on our beds. He was going to college somewhere in Indiana, miles away. He'll be too far away to come and see me.

And of course I'll miss him. He's been my best friend for five years together. We do everything together. We tell each other everything. We're inseparable. We're always together, so for him to leave, it'll be so weird and different. It'll just be me, Colby, for awhile. And he'll miss me, I know.

Departure Day

Sam was really going. I was sitting next to him in his parents car. His bags were in the trunk and his plane ticket was in his hands. It was early in the morning, dew still stuck to the grass blades. I had spent the night at Sams house and we were up all night talking about the past five years. We ate ice cream at 1am and talked like his flight didn't exist. I don't think we slept at all last night.

We were almost to the airport and suddenly it was all too real. I tried to hide my tears as they parked the car in the parking garage.

"Colby?" Sam whispers. I quickly wipe my face and turn to him. Only to see tears spilling down his face too.

"Is this actually happening?" He questions. I nod my head, afraid to speak.

His parents are grabbing his luggage from the back and walking towards the airport entrance. We follow, slowly, behind them. With each step my heart aches because this will be the last time I see Sam face to face for over six months.

I'll miss his blonde hair and goofy smile. His contagious laugh and funny jokes. I'll miss his logical thinking because sometimes I'm dumb and can't think straight. I'll miss just being with him.

We reach his gate. I step back as his parents take turns hugging him. I don't stop the tears from falling and the familiar lump forms in my throat. When his parents are finished, they walk towards the seating area. Sam and I look at each other. This was it, I thought.