swim

"Sam cmon there's gonna be a lot of traffic if we don't leave now," I called from downstairs.

Sam, Corey, Jake and I were all going to the beach today. We all finally had a day off and we wanted to not spend it inside. We're always inside so Corey had the bright idea to go to the beach.

It was currently 9am and the beach was about an hour away. So if we don't leave now, there would for sure be more traffic than if we left later. Corey and Jake were already outside packing my car full of essentials.

I hear Sam running down the stairs. When he emerges from the around the corner I smile widely. He's wearing his hot pink swim trunks, the ones that match mine. He's also wearing a white t shirt and a baseball cap. He walks up to me and pats my back.

"Now we're waiting on you Colby," Sam yells as he walks outside. I laugh and quickly follow him, locking the door.

We all pile into my car, Sam in the front seat next to me while Jake and Corey were stuck in the back. Sam grabs the aux cord and starts playing some jams. We belt out the lyrics and do awkwardly funny dance moves the whole way.

We finally reach the beach and there's already some traffic building up over the bridge. I look over at Sam who is enthralled by the water. The sun is hitting the water making it shimmer. Now that I think about it, I don't think he's ever been to the beach before.

"Why does the beach always have to be so busy?" Jake whines from the backseat. We're currently bumper to bumper.

"Probably because it's summer time and people like going to the beach during the summer," Corey says sarcastically.

Jake groans and I slowly let my foot off the brake to move up. Eventually after sitting in traffic for 20 minutes we somehow manage to find a parking spot. We all get out and I open the trunk.

Corey grabs the cooler and a chair, Jake grabs the other chair. I hand Sam the umbrella and then I carry the rest of the towels. We make our way to the sand.

"I'm so excited," Sam squeals. Jake gives him a sideways glance.

"Have you never been before?" He questions. Sam looks at me hesitantly before saying, "The only time I've ever been was with Colby but we were here for an event. So I've never actually been to the beach per say."

"Well we're gonna make your first time here the best ever," Jake sings.

I had forgotten about the event. It actually wasn't even an event, we were bored one night and we ended up at the beach. We never went out on the sand or anything though. Just strolled down the sidewalks.

We haul our stuff through the sand. I take my shoes off because I could walk better without them. Everyone else liked my idea and followed my actions. The beach was crowded with colorful umbrellas lining the shore. Little kids were running around playing football, others were splashing at the waters edge. Then there were your typical teenage girls who were laying on towels soaking up the sun.

Once finding a spot on the sand close to the water, we dropped our stuff. Corey and Jake instantly take their shirts off and run towards the water. Sam stays by my side to help me with the umbrella.

"I swear they're kids when it comes to water," I tell Sam as we watch them splash water onto each other.

The umbrella was up, chairs and towels were out and Sam and I were relaxing on shore. Our shirts were off, soaking up the sun, trying to get color to our pale bodies.

I was gazing at people around us: an older couple reading books, a mother and her two sons. The mother was watching her children closely as they swam in the water. There were also people walking the beach, toes sinking in the muddy sand and looking for seashells. And I wondered where they would put all the seashells they collected at.