life is a highway

The meter on the dashboard was pushing 80mph. He flew past the other cars on the interstate, weaving in and out of traffic. It was almost scary, the way he would just barely hit his blinker before merging lanes or have to slam on his brakes when a car moves in front of him. But it was a thrill and he looked hot while doing it.

Sams hand rested on the top of the steering wheel while the other was loosely resting on my thigh. The heat of his hand was driving me crazy. He had a random song playing, one from his phone that he put on shuffle. And I was just watching him drive.

We were five hours from our destination and our GPS told us that traffic would soon get heavy. I wasn't happy about that and nor was Sam. I watched the dashboard as the meter slowly climbed to 85mph.

"Baby, shouldn't you slow down a bit?" I ask cautiously. He glances at me before weaving around a car.

"We've got to make it there before sundown," Sam says.

"Yeah well I wanna make it there alive," I comment, leaning my head against the headrest.

"You're right, I'll slow down," Sam says. And I sigh in relief when I saw the meter inching back down to 75mph.

Sam has always been a crazy driver though and that's why I do most of the driving. Even in town he would weave in and out of traffic almost causing crashes. And he always goes 5 over the speed limit, if not more, yet he's never got a ticket.

I had been driving before but we had to stop for gas and Sam noticed how tired I looked and offered to drive some. I wanted to tell him it was alright and I could do it but my eyelids were heavy from lack of sleep. The endless concrete road was starting to mess with my eyes too. So I obliged and he took the keys.

So now here we are cruising down the interstate, five hours away from our destination. We wanted to get away just the two of us to the mountains. We needed a change in scene from looking at the beach all day.

Sam had slowed down tremendously since I told him I wanted to make it there alive but only because we had entered some traffic.

"Twenty minute delay," I sighed looking at the GPS. Sam squeezes my thigh and I reached down to hold it, bringing it to my lips to kiss the back of his hand.

"We're not gonna make it in time," Sam sighed along with me. I continue to kiss the back of his hand. The meter dropping to 40mph.

"It's ok babe. We'll have tomorrow night to watch the sunset," I say.

Sam comes to a complete stop and looks at me. The cars in front of him move slowly, the cars beside us aren't moving at all.

"You look tired," Sam mumbles. I laugh softly and flip down the visor to look at myself. Dark bags laid under my dull eyes.

"We didn't sleep much last night," I smirk at him. I watch his lips curl into a smile, thinking about last night. His hands all over my body, his lips kissing me everywhere, the way he made me feel. I shifted in my seat.

"That is true," Sam agreed. He leaned over the console and kisses me softly. "Why don't you close your eyes and take a nap."

I thought about his suggestion. If I did fall asleep, I'd be well rested. But then I'd also miss the beautiful mountain views and I won't be able to sleep tonight. Maybe I could close my eyes for a little bit. So that's what I did.

——

"Honey, wake up. Colby," Sam whispers.

When I lift my head, Sam is standing outside the passenger door. I was glad to see we weren't on the side of the interstate but in a parking lot. Sam reaches across me and unclips my seatbelt. My neck is achy and I massage it.