back to december

"Sammy, I'm cold," Colby yelled as he jumped on the couch next to his best friend.

Sam was wrapped up in two fluffy blankets, a sweatshirt thrown over his body. His empty cup of hot chocolate was sitting on the small table in front of him. Sam was quite warm to say the least.

Colby crawled under the blankets next to Sam and curled into the older boys side. The brunette was instantly met with Sams warm body heat that was trapped under all the blankets. Sam sighed and repositioned himself so Colby was comfortable against his body. The blonde wrapped his arms around his friend, so he wouldn't fall off the couch and so Colby would warm up faster.

Outside the weather was horrendous. Dark gloomy clouds gathered in the sky, keeping the sun from shining. The temperatures didn't rise over fifty degrees and the wind was bone chilling. At night, the temperature would sometimes drop to freezing. It was very cold for it only being the first week of December. And the weatherman predicted more of the same in the weeks to come.

It didn't help that it was cold in parts of the giant house either. Since the house was so big, the heater didn't always heat up the house equally. Some rooms feel like a sauna while others feel like Antarctica. There was no in-between.

Corey comes strutting into the living room about a half hour later, dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie. His eyes met Sams and the blonde whispers, "Is he asleep?" He was referring to Colby who hadn't moved since joining him.

Corey's eyes wander to where Sam had motioned with his head. He was surprised to see Colby since he hadn't seen him when he first walked in. He was curled so far down in the blankets that only tuffs of his brown hair popped out. Corey hovered over Colby to see the boy sleeping peacefully.

"Yeah, he's out," Corey whispered back afraid of waking him. Sam nodded and pulled the sleeping boy closer, feeling the warmth his body produced. Corey took a seat on the opposite couch, pulling out his phone.

"So what's up?" Sam whispered loudly so Corey could hear him. Corey gazed out the window at the cold day.

"Not much. I was bored so I came down here," he replied quietly. Sam once again nodded.

"Well there's not much going on down here either."

He just figured Corey didn't want to be alone and would rather be with someone's company. Corey continued to scroll through his phone while Sam turned his attention back to the tv. A random show was playing and Sam couldn't change the channel because he didn't know where the remote was. Soft snores suddenly came out of Colby's mouth and both boys stifled laughs.

"I never knew Colby snores," Corey giggled. Sam snaps his head in the other brunettes direction, gaping at him.

"Oh my God, he snores all the time. Sometimes I don't know how I fall asleep with all his snoring," Sam explains, looking down at Colby.

In the instances they have slept together, Sam always had trouble falling asleep because of Colby's loud snoring. But Sam adored it. They've been friends for years and Sams grown used to the noise. He was still caught in shock when someone mentions it because he's grown accustom to it.

"Wow, I had no idea," Corey chuckles.

Just then the tv show ends and a brief weather report comes up. The weatherman shows a map of California with very low temperatures. "Tonight there will be places that will get below freezing. So stay bundled up," he said. He pointed to the city that they lived in and Sam stole a glance outside.

The wind was picking up, the trees outside swaying in the cold air. The sun had just set so now it would be ever more colder out there. Sam shivered just thinking about it.