breathin'

Colby sighed as he walked through the thick doors. School, he hated it with a passion. From waking up early to doing homework that made no sense to him, he hated it. And he hated everything in between too, like the teachers who never really taught anything and the kids who never paid attention and the annoying sound of the bell. He even hated lunch.

But luckily this was his last year in school. He had learned how to adapt to his high school and make it bearable. He learned that the popular kids would stand in front of his locker before third period, every day. He learned that eating lunch outside under a tree wasn't so bad. Colby even learned what bathrooms to use and which ones to avoid.

Colby wasn't popular but he was well known. A lot of kids in his class always talked to him and asked him questions. And people would always say hi to him in the halls. And Colby, he knew pretty much everyone at his high school. He was one of those students who sits back and eavesdrops into conversations. He would pay attention to every person who walked past them. Colby likes to people watch, likes to know what other people are doing. And Colby notices everything yet sometimes he doesn't say anything.

So today, the first day back from summer break was horrible for Colby. He wasn't used to waking up at 6am and his body was already tired. He yawned and made his way to his locker. He smiled at a few people he knew but not many people were here yet. He was early as usual, he hated being late.

Opening his locker, he put his brand new binders inside along with a textbook he brought home for summer assignments. He checked himself out in the tiny mirror he had hanging up.

He had to make sure he liked good on the first day back. His dark brunette hair was swept to the side. His brand new hoodie was hugging his body perfectly and his black jeans were doing the same. He looked good.

As he shut his locker door, he saw one of his friends walking up. It was Jake, one of Colby's closer friends. His hair was still a deep purple as he had dyed it about a week ago. He was clutching his backpack straps.

"What's up?" Jake said. They both leaned against the lockers, watching people enter the school.

"It's too early to talk now Jake," Colby said. Colby wasn't a morning person, in fact he barely spoke in the mornings. His body just wasn't fully awake to be using his vocal cords.

Colby glances up and down the halls. He knew this school like the back of his hand. After reviewing his schedule last night, he had mapped it out so he wouldn't have to worry about being late.

"What's your first class?" Jake asks. More kids crowded the tiny halls.

"US government," Colby replied tiredly.

Jake nods and doesn't respond to Colby. Instead he sees one of his others friends and walks off with them. Colby was left alone which he didn't mind. Then Colby notices a small blonde boy, clutching onto his binders tightly. The blondes eyes were darting back and forth between people, he looked scared. Colby had never seen him before.

He was cute, glasses framing his face. The blonde hair suited him and it was pushed to the side. He wore black skinny jeans with holes in the knees and Colby kept staring at his skin. Colby needed to find out who this boy was.

But then the bell rang, four long beeps in a row, signaling the start of school. Colby sighed as he lost the blonde boy in the crowd of kids getting to their classes. Colby thought back to the map he made in his head and started his way to class.

When arriving at the door, he once again saw the blonde boy. This time he was sitting at one of the desks by the window. Sunlight streamed in through the open blinds making him glow. His eyes lifted to look at Colby. And Colby was met with beautiful baby blue eyes. Colby ducked his head, afraid the boy will see him blushing. He took a seat a few rows away from him but still in eyesight.