speechless

Right now I'm sitting in my fourth period. I'm impatiently waiting for the bell to ring so I can go home and start getting ready. The school lets us go home early, noon. Tonight was senior prom. I was actually really nervous but really excited at the same time. I glance down at my phone as I got an incoming text.

It was from my best friend. We both got dates to prom and we're all going together. We're all meeting at my house but Sam is driving us. And I think we decided that he was going to spend the night because it'll be too late for him to drive home.

Finally the bell rang and I bolted out of class. I met Sam at his locker and we bump fists. He puts a few folders into his locker.

"So Kat and Kayla are going to met us at your house?" Sam questions as we head to the parking lot, finishing the conversation we started as texts.

"Yeah I've talked to Kayla about it already," I tell him. We walk up to our cars, which we park next to each other everyday.

"Alright see you at three," Sam shouts and gets into his car. I do the same and head home.

The first hour I'm home I lay in bed watching tv. I scarf down a sandwich and have some cereal. I was pretty hungry because I didn't eat breakfast. I scroll through Twitter and Instagram seeing some of the girls from school already getting ready. I glance at my clock, 2:48. Sam would be here soon. I sigh and go into my bathroom.

I figured fixing my hair would take the longest. So I started with that. I found my straightener and plugged it in. Though I straightened it this morning, the heat and humidity of the day frizzed it out and some of my baby curls are coming back.

At exactly 3, there was a knock on my door. I heard my mom open the door and then I hear Sam clobber up the stairs and into my room.

"Colby, I have arrived," he shouts. I peak my head from out of my bathroom. He's in basketball shorts and a t shirt. He's holding a suit that's wrapped up in the protective plastic and his black dress shoes. And thrown over his shoulder is his backpack that's probably his extra clothes for tomorrow.

"I can see," I say. He grins when he sees me, straightening my hair. He walks into the bathroom with me and leans against the doorframe.

"Why do you always straighten your hair anyway?" Sam says, looking at me through the mirror.

"Because it's curly and I don't like it," I say. He knows this.

"Well I like it curly," Sam says and gently touches the top of my head. I glare at him through the mirror and he smiles small. I roll my eyes and try not to think about what he said.

He leaves me to do my hair and goes back in my room. When I emerge, hair fully straightened, I see him laying on my bed. It's almost 4 now.

"Sam, what are you- it's almost 4," I yell, laughing.

"I wanted to wait for you," he groans and sits up.

I pull my suit from my closet and lay it next to him on the bed. We decided to go classic with black suits. We color coordinated as a group with the color blue. So I have a dark blue tie and Kayla is wearing a dark blue dress. While Sam and Kat are wearing a turquoise blue. That way we're all semi- matching.

I strip down my boxers and reapply deodorant. My pants go on first, then my white undershirt, then my white dress shirt. I struggle with my tie and turn to Sam for help. He's just staring at me with wide eyes.

"What?"

"You just look really good," Sam comments. I gulp, why is he saying these things?  It makes my stomach do somersaults.