bad blood

"Oh God, oh my God," Colby muttered to himself as he looked upon the mess he had just created. The carpet would definitely stain.

"What did I just do?" He asked himself, his fingers pulling at his brown locks. His eyes darted down at the body, laying motionless on the ground. Tears pricked his eyes. He covered his mouth with one hand while the other held the knife loosely.

"Oh my God," he whispered once more. He dropped down to his knees, hands gently touching the body's shoulder. The knife he was holding was now laying on the carpet next to him. A deep crimson red was pooling around the limp body, pouring out of their chest. Colby didn't think it was that deep but it turned out he was wrong.

He checked for a pulse, bringing two fingers up to their neck and waiting. But there was no beat, there was nothing. Colby stifled a cry, escaping his lips in a broken sob. He was dead and Colby had killed him.

He pushed the body to lay on his back. He thought maybe it would stop the blood from escaping. But to Colby's horror he saw it slowly dripping down his chest, down his side and onto the carpet.

It was an accident really. He and Brennen were just messing around until Brennen said something that made his blood run cold. And Colby had gotten a little angry. He's always had anger issues, and Brennen knew that, but he usually kept them at bay. Colby didn't lash out like he used to. But the words Brennen threw at him rolled around in his head and rage built up.

His fingers had curled around the knife. It's smooth cold surface seeping into Colby's skin. The blade was sharp and glistened in the light of the kitchen. He heard Brennen walking up behind him. It angered Colby that he had followed him, Colby just needed to be alone right now. He needed to calm down before he lashed out on the dark haired boy. So when he heard the footsteps of Brennen walking down the stairs, his anger took flight.

He charged at Brennen, who was walking down the stairs. He tackled the dark haired boy into the living room. Brennen was shouting at him, screaming, maybe begging. All Colby saw was red, all he heard was the words Brennen had said to him rolling around in his head. And Colby didn't realize what he had done until it was too late.

Brennen lay, struggling to breathe, in a pool of his own blood. Colby had stabbed him multiple times in the chest. If only he could have seen the look on Brennens face when he charged with the knife, then maybe Colby would've realized what he'd done. But as the life drained from Brennens eyes there was nothing Colby could've done.

His mind thought about calling 911 but then there would be questions like "who killed him?" and "why did you stab him?" and Colby didn't want to go to jail.

"What am I gonna do?" Colby cried while looking around the living room. It was around midnight and some of the roommates would be home soon. The knife still lay next him, dried blood on the blade. He didn't even know where to start.

Sam walked into the dimly lit house moments later. He was smiling ear to ear because he had the best news ever and he couldn't wait to tell Colby. He kicked his shoes off by the door and made his way into the kitchen. He was hungry, his dinner had already worn off. Before heading upstairs with his snack, he heard crying coming from the other room. He tiptoed into the living room and froze.

He stared at Colby, who had tears rolling down his face and had his hands covering his mouth, leaning over a body. A knife laying next to him. The man laying on the ground seemed to be motionless. Then Sam saw the blood. He saw the blood pooling around the body, staining the carpet. He saw the blood that painted Colby's fingers. And suddenly Sam was scared.

"C-Colby?" Sam stuttered out, dropping his bag of chips. Colby's head whipped upwards in the direction of the voice.

Colby held out his hands, as if surrendering, while he watched Sam back up. Sam was shaking his head, trying to rid the idea of a dead body laying in his living room.