need you now

Jake and Corey had just left. Sam was in the bathroom, brushing his teeth and I sat on the right side of the bed. My shoes were laying haphazardly on the ground by my luggage as I listened to the sound of the faucet running. The door was cracked open slightly, just enough for me to see Sams back- the curve of his neck, his messy hair.

It had been a long day, flying from Los Angeles to London had definitely messed up our bodies a little. I knew everyone was tired after all the ghost things we had just seen or thought we had seen. It could have just been our minds playing tricks on us from lack of sleep. But what we saw was real, it happened, or so we thought. It would all come down to the footage that was on the camera. One of the cameras was propped up against the counter, aiming at the bed, our bed. The red light wasn't flashing yet so I knew Sam hadn't turned it on. The other camera was charging on the bedside table on the other side of the bed.

The sink turned off but I wasn't really paying attention. My thoughts wandered to the boy who was steps away from me, Sam. I saw him moving around in the bathroom, wiping his face and whatnot. It was kind of creepy, watching him and he had no idea. But I couldn't stop myself. Soon the bathroom door swung wide and he stepped out. I adverted my eyes quickly and they landed on my shoes once again.

"Okay, I'm all done," Sam spoke, his voice hushed as it was nearing 1am. I pushed myself off the bed and stretched. Maybe if I was looking at him I would have noticed him staring at the exposed skin on my waist when I lifted my hands. But my eyes were still focused on the wall so I didn't see.

"Okay," I breathed out. I picked through my bag until I found my toothbrush and toothpaste. He was still standing in the doorway of the bathroom when I stood up. He was looking at me, a goofy smile on his face and it almost made me blush.

"I, uh, need to, uh..." I stumbled over my words as I pointed to the bathroom. It dawned on him that he was in my way and he laughed, stepping sideways so I could fit through the doorway. Our shoulders brushed together as I passed him and I sucked in a breath. I quickly shut the door and leaned my head against it. What is wrong with me, I thought to myself.

After regaining my composure, I brushed my teeth and washed my face with the soap sitting on the counter. My eyes gazed at myself in the mirror. My dyed hair was messed up and all over the place, dark bags were instilling themselves under my eyes and I just looked tired. Jet lag, I told myself. I sighed before opening the door and turning the light off.

Sam was in bed, laying on his back, scrolling through his phone. His eyes darted to me when he saw me come out. I threw my stuff on top of my bag before taking in a long breath.

"The camera is recording," Sam said.

I turned to look and sure enough the red light was flashing. I give it a wave and a nice big smile. Sam laughs and sets his phone down.

"This is so weird," I say, nodding in the cameras direction as I work on taking my shirt off. When it's unbuttoned, I slide it off my shoulders and let it drop to the floor. The chilly air hit me like a ton of bricks and I shivered. Maybe I should sleep with a T-shirt on but I decided against it. I lifted my eyes to Sams and he was rolled on his side, facing me, teeth in his bottom lip. When he catches me staring at him staring at me, he clears his throat and adverts his eyes.

"Yeah, it's a little weird," he agrees with me. "But we need to see if anything will happen while we're... sleeping."

It was as if his brain forgot the word because it took him a second to finish his sentence. Or he was thinking of something other than sleeping. But I shook the thought from my head when remembering Sam has a girlfriend, plus he's my best friend. But still a blush crept up my neck and onto my cheeks.