halo (2)

It was a week later, after the picnic, Colby was laying on his back staring up at his ceiling. He tossed and turned all night before finally residing to his back. His eyes were wide open, sleep not coming to him tonight. Colby had waited a whole week for Sam to text him, contact him in any way and Sam didn't. Nothing from the small blonde boy who had an obsession with flowers. And it made Colby's heart break. He kept giving the boy excuses like 'he's busy unpacking' or 'he's exploring the town'. But Colby finally decided that Sam just forgot about Colby, forgot about his flower crown.

Though Colby barely knew the boy, he was having withdrawals. He missed seeing his bright blue eyes and dimples when he smiled. He missed his smooth voice when he spoke. He missed the flower crown that bedded itself on Sams blonde hair.

But Sam would text him right? He would tell Colby his flower crown was done right? And if it took another week, so be it. Colby eventually shut his eyes, dreaming of Sams halo.

It was the very next morning when Colby awoke to his phone vibrating violently on his nightstand. He sighed and rolled over to turn it off. It was quiet for a minute before his phone buzzed again. Colby sat up on his elbow, annoyed he was losing sleep, but instantly smiled when he saw Sams name on his screen.

He pressed the green answer button and opened his mouth to speak but paused. He couldn't. He heard rustling on the other end.

"Hi, Colby? Is that you?" He heard Sams angelic voice float through his speaker. Colby nodded though Sam couldn't see him.

"I'm hoping it is. But I'm sorry, I've been super busy with unpacking and all that," Sam says. Colby laid back down listening to Sams voice.

"But I promise you, I'll finish your flower crown by this weekend," Sam finishes. A small smile tugs its way on to Colby's face. The line went quiet as Sam waited for a response from Colby. But he never got one.

"Right, ok- hey I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight? My parents are going to dinner and it'll just be me and my siblings," Sam rattles off. Colby giggles quietly.

He wanted to tell Sam that he would love to hang out but his voice was still mute.

"Well if you wanna come over, my parents are leaving around six, so anytime after that is great," Sam says and Colby could tell he was smiling.

"Well it was nice... talking to you?" Sam squeaked out at the end of the one-sided conversation. "I hope to see you tonight."

With that Colby's phone beeped twice, signaling the phone call ended. Colby stares at his phone, debating whether to text him he would be over. But Colby wanted it to be a surprise, so he set his phone down and went back to sleep. His mother woke him up hours later with, "I'm going out with some friends. Be back later." She scowled Colby for still being in bed and he lazily got up after she left.

He sat around the rest of the afternoon, thinking about Sam and what they could do. They could watch a movie, play video games, do anything that requires little to no talking. But Colby was just excited to see the angel of a boy again.

Sam had sent his address last week, so Colby already knew where he lived, two blocks away. Colby decided to leave a little late so he could get to Sams house a little after six. He changed from his basketball shorts into skinny black jeans with rips at the knees and a white and black striped shirt. He fluffed his boring brown hair a little and brushed his teeth. After grabbing his backpack that didn't really contain anything, he headed out.

The sun was bright and he wished he had worn a hat. But he didn't want to turn around so he contained on, sun in his eyes. He turned the corner onto Sams street and could see the U-Haul still in the driveway. Colby thought it was odd that they hadn't returned it yet.