how to save a life

The elevator ride to the fifth floor seemed to be taking forever. Sam glanced at the three other boys standing with him. They were all smiling and laughing about the trip and fun events they would be doing. They were oblivious to the way Sam was feeling, sick to his stomach. They didn't notice his shaky hands or quivering lips as he held in his tears. They didn't notice his sweaty appearance as a fever spread through his body. And they didn't notice his deep cough or stuffy nose. All Sam wanted to do was curl up into a ball on the comfy hotel mattress and sleep forever.

The elevator finally dinged and Sam pushes, with all his might, off the wall and out the door. Elton and Corey were a couple steps ahead of him while his best friend was walking by his side. His legs felt like jello and he walked crookedly, bumping into Colby.

"Woah, you alright?" Colby asks, putting hand on Sams shoulder. Sam rubs his forehead and nods hastily. He didn't want anyone worrying about him, that's why he hasn't said a word about him not feeling good.

They arrive outside Elton and Corey's shared hotel room. All four boys wander inside. Sam instantly goes for the perfectly made bed, just wanting to rest his head on the pillow. He could feel Colby watching him but he didn't care. The room looked like a regular hotel room, two queen sized beds, along with a tv, dresser, mini fridge and a bathroom. Of course there was a wide window too that provided a view of the city.

While the other three boys looked at the view, Sam kicked his shoes off and laid down. Although he tried not to close his eyes, they fluttered shut and he didn't have the energy to keep them open. Traveling and being sick is the worst combination ever.

While Sam was sleeping, the other three boys sat on the other bed. They scrolled through their phones for awhile listening to the soft snores of Sam. Colby glanced at his friend and felt kind of bad. Colby knew Sam wasn't feeling good but was too stubborn to say anything.

"I think Sam might be sick," Colby sighed, leaning back against the pillow. Elton glances up from his phone to look at Sam.

"You think?" Corey asks, finally taking his shoes off.

"Yeah, I can just tell," Colby mumbles, watching the blondes chest move up and down.

"I'm sure you can, with you being his best friend for what? Five years now?" Elton said, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. Colby glares at him but nods.

"But he's just too stubborn to say anything. He thinks he'll be a hinderance if he says anything," Colby says. Colby knew Sam well enough to understand how and why he acts a certain way.

"Well maybe he'll sleep it off," Corey replies. Elton shares his opinion with Corey about Sam needing to sleep off his sickness.

Colby gets up and walks over to his sleeping friend. He leans over Sam slightly and presses a hand on Sams forehead. He brushes some of the hair off his face.

"Does he have a fever?" Corey asks curiously.

"I can't tell," Colby whispers. Sam moves underneath his hand and slowly opens his eyes. A raging headache makes him groan in pain. He didn't fall asleep with a headache so why does he have one now? Sam stretches his legs before looking into Colby's eyes. Colby knew his friend well enough to understand what Sam was saying through his eyes. He wanted to go to their room.

"I think we're gonna go to our room now. To rest and clean up before dinner," Colby says, helping Sam find his shoes. They had a dinner reservation in a few hours and Colby really wanted to shower before going. Sam stood up, leaning into Colby as his eyes drooped shut. Elton and Corey said their goodbyes as they walked out.

Sam and Colby's room was two doors down and Colby fumbled with the key to open it. Once it was open Sam rushes in, stumbling over his untied shoe laces. Colby caught him around the waist before he could fall. Sam sighed and Colby pulled the smaller boy into a hug.