lover

"That's it, I'm done," Katrina threw her hands up in surrender. Her shout echoed around in the room before finally Sam realized what she said. Sam stood frozen in front of her, watching silent tears fall from her eyes. She was always a beautiful cryer and Sam wanted to tell her but he realized this was not the right time. Sam, himself, was trying to suppress the urge to cry but the lump in his throat was already forming.

"W-what do you mean?" He choked out, taking a step towards the girl. Katrina rolled her eyes and shook her head. Her hands rested snuggly on her hips and she jutted her shoulder out.

"I'm done with this. I'm done with us. I'm done with you," she said, pointing between herself and Sam. Her voice cracked with each word, showing how hurt she was. When Sam didn't say anything, she huffed and turned in circles in the room. She waited for him to speak but he didn't.

She walked out of his room and grabbed her purse that was laying on the kitchen counter. Sam followed her like a lost puppy because he still hadn't comprehended the words that left her mouth. She pulled out her car keys and Sam watched her take off his apartment key. She was consistently sniffing as tears dropped on the counter. She held it up for him to see, it shimmered in the light, before placing it on the counter.

"For your next girlfriend," she whispered.

Katrina waited for Sam to say something to make her stay. She waited for Sam to cry and tell her not to go, that they could work something out. But all she saw were tears leaking from Sam's blue eyes and she knew Sam wasn't trying to save this relationship anymore. Sam felt trapped and all he could do was watch her leave. His door slammed with a thud. It echoed off his walls for a few seconds before it went completely silent. Katrina was gone, she left. There was nothing Sam could have done to make her stay.

Sam crumbled to the ground finally letting his tears fall. He hugged his body and let his cries fill the apartment. And Sam was an ugly cryer, snot running down his nose, tears free falling down his face and broken sobs coming from his lips. He was confused and heartbroken.

He'd been with Katrina for years and now suddenly she was gone. Sam had told her secrets and shared embarrassing memories with her. He's introduced her to his family. He spent almost every moment with her. All those memories they'd shared, they've had together, they're gone like the wind. And Sam was devastated.

It had probably been about an hour since she left, Sam was pressed against the wall, knees brought to his chest. His swollen teary eyes watched the beautiful red and orange sunset turn into the darkness of night. He had not moved, too weak and drained to drag his body to the couch. All he wanted to do was mourn in his brokenness and talk about his feelings. He just wanted to calm down and stop crying.

He eventually pulled himself together enough to stand up and walk to his door. Maybe she was sitting up against it crying just waiting for Sam to open it. But Katrina wasn't there when he opened the door. He sighed and wiped his face, glancing down the hallway at Colby's door. Talking to Colby always helps him, the brunette boy understands the blonde in more ways than one.

He trudged down the hallway and stood in front of Colby's door. He could hear music coming from the room but that was normal, Colby always had something playing. He knocked rather harshly, just wanting to be in the comfort of his friends arms. Katrinas face was still popping up in his mind, and Sam realized how beautiful she was now that she was gone. He'll never be able to tell her again. More tears fell from his face as he knocked again.

Sam heard footsteps approach the door and he sighed. The door opened slightly and Sam frowned. That wasn't Colby. Instead a skinny blonde girl with too much makeup on opened the door. She was wearing a black dress that was way too short. She took in the sight of Sam and started laughing.