from now on

Claire has a twin brother but Sam has never seen him. In fact, he occasionally thinks he doesn't exist but the closed door to his room states otherwise. Sam has never seen her twin brother, only glimpses of him through the pictures hung up on the wall. But the pictures were taken awhile ago and Sam knew he didn't look the same as back then.

Apparently Claire's twin brother is one of those tough looking bad guys that your parents tell you to stay away from. She describes him as tall and muscular, unfriendly, wears dark clothes and leather jackets, dark haired with black studs in his ears, a few tattoos scatter his body along with a handle full of rings lining his fingers. But she never once has used the words scary or dangerous. According to Claire, her twin brother has very few friends and keeps to himself a lot.

Sam would think that as much time he spends at her house, he would eventually see this brother she so very rarely talks about. Claire never speaks about her twin unless asked about him. She herself barely know him. But to no avail, he has never shown up while he is there which is quite frequently. He peaked Sams interest often, wondering what he looked like, how he acted, and so forth.

Sam knew Claire from school. They've been best friends since freshman year, having almost every class together, they bonded and created a friendship. Sam knew about her twin brother yet they were never together. Sam assumed they weren't close and he assumed right. Her twin had decided to go to a different school, one miles away from their town just so he wouldn't be associated with her. Sam thought it was dumb but yet again he though most things her twin brother did was dumb. Sam and Claire spend most of their days after school at her house since Sams family life isn't the best. His parents would constantly fight over tiny things and he didn't have the patience to deal with that anymore. Claire knows all of this, of course she had to know when Sam showed up at her doorstep at midnight sophomore year crying and begging for a place to stay the night.

Claire's parents were rarely home anymore. Her father is always away for business meetings, usually in another state. And her mother is a flight attendant, so she's only home for the weekends before she packs up her bags again to leave. Claire and her twin brother are the only ones home for weeks on end sometimes, they know how to survive though. Sam guessed their parents trusted them enough to leave them alone for so long. And Sam, well, Sam ends up at their house most of the day just to escape his. More than once has he spent the night, sleeping on the couch which is better than sleeping in his own bed trying to drown out the yelling coming from down the hall.

Their senior year was slowly coming to an end, finals were in a few weeks and prom in less than that. Of course, Sam and Claire were going to go as friends and only friends. Sam didn't like Claire in that way, in fact he didn't know if he liked girls in that way or not. She was attractive, yes, with long black hair and painfully beautiful sparkling blue eyes and tanned skin but he wasn't attractive to it, or her.

It was Friday afternoon and Sam was half awake as he trudged towards the school parking lot. His parents had been fighting pretty much all night last night. He could hear plates being thrown and other objects they had around the house. It made him toss and turn in his sleep and he dreaded that annoying sound of his alarm in the morning. He had fallen asleep in his last class of the day and the teacher almost gave him a detention but was reluctant after seeing his baggy eyes.

"Hey, yo Sam." He heard Claire before he saw her. He had just gotten to his car when she seemingly showed up out of nowhere. "You coming to mine?"

"Yeah, I'll be over. I needa nap," he managed to chuckle, unlocking his car. She leaned against it while he threw his backpack into the backseat.

"Yeah, you look a bit... drained. Long night?" She questioned. Sam glanced at her. She was biting her lip like she always does when bringing up the topic of his parents. Her black hair was slicked back into a ponytail but with all the wind today it looked messy.