closer to the edge

Sam sat, head leaning against the window, eyes closed. There was no point from them to be open. The sun was just rising over the horizon and light filtered through his eyelids. He knew the sun was bright and casting a glowing yellow across the city. But he couldn't see it.

Suddenly the bus jerked to a stop and Sam almost hit his face in the seat in front of him. Kids were talking amongst themselves as they got off the bus, seemingly avoiding the blonde boy. He was the last to get off as usual. His backpack was thrown over his shoulder and he prayed that his outfit matched. His mother always helps him but she had a late night at the hospital and he was already asleep when she got home.

Sam took to the crowded halls trying to find the familiar face of his friend. He only had one, Corey. To Sam, Corey was a light grey with darker grey eyes. His hair was almost black in Sam's eyes. But Corey described himself with dark brown hair and eyes with tanned skin.

He found the taller boy at his locker. He was scrolling though his phone, not paying attention to the blonde boy walking up.

"Hey this isn't your... oh Sam, well I guess this is your locker," Corey said, pocketing his phone. Sam rolled his eyes and took out his folder.

"So what colors are you wearing today?" Sam asked. It was a daily question.

"I'm wearing black jeans," Corey pointed to his legs. "A dark blue- almost navy- T-shirt and white vans."

Sam skimmed his outfit trying to picture all those colors in his mind. What does navy look like? He sort of knows what white and black are because those are the only colors he can make out. That and different shades and tints of grey. Mostly Sam sees in grey.

"Looks nice," Sam comments, shutting his locker door.

"Oh please, you can't even see the colors," Corey laughed but it wasn't in a mean way. Sam went to respond but the loud shrill of the school bell rang. It seemed to echo in the hallway. Corey was gone before Sam could even ask if his outfit matched.

The blonde trudged to his first class of the day. The class was almost full when he got there and he made his way to the back. This was his only class without assigned seats and everyone picked a different seat each day. He plopped himself down on a light grey chair and pulled out one of his folders. Since he couldn't tell what color it was, his mother taped the name of his class on each side of the folder. He grabbed his pencil and was ready to take notes.

The teacher was at the front like usual but she was talking to someone on the school phone. She was biting her lip and Sam could tell she was anxious. A few kids in front of him turned around to face him. They held out a few papers to him, a devious grin on their faces. He recognized them as the two guys who pick on him.

"I think we should ask Samuel," the left one said. It made Sam cringe when they said his full name.

"Ask me what?" Sam sighed.

"Which color is more manlier?" The right one said. For as long as he's being in this class, he wouldn't thought by now that he would've remembered their names. But he can't be bothered to listen when the teacher calls attendance.

"Umm, why can't you chose?" Sam asked, feeling himself get slightly nervous. Not many people know he's colorblind but somehow these two found out a couple weeks ago. They've been picking on him ever since.

"Well Samuel, we want you to pick so we know your opinion," the left one said. Sam thought that was a dumb idea. He glanced at the teacher who was still on the phone.

"Well what colors do you have?" Sam asked, letting his eyes fall to the three grey papers.

"Hmm I don't know. Say Brennen isn't that red? And that one's green, but I'm not sure what this one is," the right guy said. The other guy, Brennen, was trying to hold back his laughter. Sam didn't know if they were messing with him or not. Were those the actual colors?