say you won't let go

Sam and Colby sat high up in a tree. The branch was sturdy and thick, not that is mattered, they didn't weigh a thing. They sat close together, shoulders touching, hands intertwined. Sam was leaning his head on Colby's shoulder, looking down at the ground below them. From where they were, they could see the park and baseball fields. They could see the streets that led to their neighborhoods.

Teenagers and smaller kids were running around the park, chasing after each other. Laughter and screaming filled the air. And Sam was watching them contently. He wished he was down there, having fun, but he was in the tree with Colby.

"What do you think we'd be doing right now? If we were alive?" Sam whispered.

"Probably making out," Colby laughed lightly. A weak smile came across Sams face and he lifted his head to look at Colby.

"We can still do that now. What would we be doing if we were...real?" Sam asked.

He watched Colby's eyes wander over the kids playing in the field below. His face was plastered with dried blood that couldn't be erased. Sam could tell he was thinking hard. It was the mid July, so there would be no school, and Sam and Colby definitely wouldn't be at the park.

"We'd probably be exploring somewhere abandoned like we used to do," Colby sighed, looking over at Sam.

It was tragic how they died. It was unexpected and it came out of nowhere. Colby was the one who suffered the most because he didn't die straight away. He died five hours later still at the scene. But Sam was dead instantly at the scene. But he saw everything.

He knew how much Colby had hurt, screamed, cried. He knew how much pain he was in just by watching his face. And Sam watched his own limp body being carried away while paramedics attended to Colby. He heard the younger boy screaming out Sams name. But after awhile he was silent, knowing Sam was already dead.

It was a fall off a ten story building. The roof gave out, rotten to its core, and they both fell. It broke Sams neck instantly. Colby hit something on the way down, prolonging his death. But he broke both legs and his spine in the process. And to top it all off he landed on the fencing that surrounded the building. The metal rods tore through his skin. He died from too much blood loss.

Sam was crying when Colby found him, touching him lightly on the shoulder. They were reunited once again as ghostly figures.

It's been ten months since the accident. They've learned to adapt to their new life as ghosts. They learned what they can and can't do.

"Yeah, we probably would be doing that," Sam sighed along with Colby.

"Hey don't be sad," Colby said, putting two fingers under Sams chin to raise his head.

"We're dead Colby, what's there to be happy about?" Sam mumbled. Colby gripped Sams chin and pecked his lips.

"You have me," Colby says against Sams lips. It was true, if Colby hadn't died along with Sam, he would be lonely and afraid. Lost in a world where he wouldn't know what to do.

"I do have you," Sam whispered.

They sat quiet, leaning into each other. The kids laughed down below, not knowing they were being watched from above. A few months after their death, Sam realized that he could help people. Though no one could see him, once he was close enough to a person they could sense him. They could sense someone guiding them into the right direction. Colby could do it too. Ever since then, they've helped a bunch of people to be safe.

"Wanna go make out now?" Colby asked. Sam giggles quietly. Although he would love to kiss Colby right now, it was that time. Time to visit their families.