song like you

long chapter ahead, prepare yourself

I glanced down at my phone for the hundredth time in the past two minutes. There was nothing, no text, no call, nothing. I sighed and sat on the step of the house, opening up my messages. I clicked on my girlfriends name and called her. It rang a few times before she answered.

"Colby?" Her voice made me smile.

"Hey, I'm at your house. Where are you?" I questioned looking out at my car that was parked on the street.

"Oh I didn't tell you? I have to stay late for the prom meeting. I'm part of the decorating team and we have to get ready," she spoke. Her words were rushed, almost like she was missing out of something. Prom was coming up in three weeks and the school was already going crazy about it.

"Oh, okay. Should I leave?" I asked. I wasn't really comfortable staying at her house when no one was home.

"No, no. I'll be done in an hour. Just let yourself in, you know where the spare key is?"

"Are you sure? I can just swing by when you're done?"

I got up before she could answer, in search of the spare key. She's told me a million times were it was hidden but of course I've forgotten each time.

"Stay," she paused and I could just picture her swirling her blonde hair in her fingers like she was thinking. "It's above the door."

I glance at the phone wondering how in the world she knew I was searching for the key. But she knows me better than I know myself I think. I chuckle lightly and reach my hand above the door. My fingers curled around the key and I did a little victory dance.

"Okay, I guess I'll be here when you get home," I say into the phone. I slot the key into the door and it clicks open.

"Make sure you lock the door back. Bye Colbs."

She ends the call before I can say anything. I slip it into my pocket and walk into her house. It was a large two story house with a pool in the backyard. She lived with her two brothers, both younger than her, and her parents. They also had a dog, Cookie, who came running up to me as I walked through the kitchen. I set the spare key on the counter and grabbed a water bottle. The house seemed to be empty and I sat on the couch, turning the tv on. I could hear the clacks of Cookies paws on the hardwood floor as she went back to where she was originally.

I met Alison about a year ago at the homecoming football game. She's a cheerleader, very school spirited, and attends many school meetings. I was cheering for our team so loudly, she actually yelled at me from the field. After the game, she invited me to the party- even though our team lost- and we talked all night and into the early hours. A week later we started dating. She's in the grade above me, me being a junior but it doesn't really faze us. Apparently one of her younger brothers, Sam, is in my grade but I've never seen him. I've never had a class with him. Her other brother is still in middle school.

I occasionally see them around the house when I'm here. But they usually do their own thing, not really interested. They don't care I'm dating their older sister. But when I do see them, I see Sam the most. He would sometimes wander out of his room to grab something to eat or to leave. Every time I see him, I can't help but stare at how much he and Alison look alike. They could be twins. They have the same blonde hair, the same baby blue eyes, the same plump lips. It's almost hard to not be attractive to Sam.

As I'm sitting on the couch, the tv's volume set to low, I notice a low rumble coming from upstairs. I sit up straighter and mute the tv. It sounded like loud banging noises and the house seemed to vibrate. I thought it was odd since I was the only one there. There were no cars in the driveway. No one else should be here. And the dog is probably asleep. Maybe someone is trying to break in.