fireflies

"Colby, kiss me."

I stared at my best friend in shock. He was resting his chin on his hand, staring at me blankly. His body was leaned against the counter. I had just walked through the door of the house when he shouted it through the kitchen. I had walked the ten steps into the kitchen to stare at him. And here he is, standing at the opposite end of the counter. He puckers his lips at me. I throw my keys down and set the plastic bag full of snacks for the house down.

"Kiss me please."

I hold my hands up and shake my head. I look around the room, hoping to find empty bottles or cups of alcohol. But none were in sight and he didn't smell like alcohol. He was completely sober.

"Sam?" I whisper, cocking my head to the side. He moves around the counter, towards me. The kitchen lights were dim and I wondered how long he had been waiting for me.

"Please," he whispers.

I shake my head at him and walk backwards. This cannot be happening, not on a random Thursday night. He pouts and makes grabby hands at me. Is he out of his mind? Does he know what he's saying right now?

"But Colby, I love you," he says. I raise my eyebrows and gasp. I wasn't expecting that. He stands still, if he takes one more step he would be able to touch me. He watches my face, letting me take in his words. I'm breathless.

"Sam, I-I," I stutter over my words, in complete shock. Maybe this was a prank and I crack a smile. I search the room for a camera, looking on top of the fridge, the cabinets, perched on the ground somewhere. But there was no camera.

"This is a prank," I say. I watch Sams face fall. His lips turn to a frown and his shoulders seem to drop.

"No Colby," Sam says quietly. He's taking a step towards me and I instantly back up, into the wall. There was nowhere for me to go now, he had me trapped. A sad smile forms on his face. He takes my hand and intertwines our fingers.

We've done this before so I'm used to it, the feeling of his hand in mine. But right now it's electrifying. Like we're both on fire and sparks are flying. My heartbeat is pounding in my chest. I swallow hard.

"Kiss me Colby, please," he's begging me now. My stomach flutters at his words. I so badly want to please him but I know once I kiss him, there was no going back. I'd definitely be more hooked on him than I already am.

I whine as his other hand finds its way around my neck. I don't stop him, though I want to. He's playing with the hairs on the back of my neck and I take a deep breath. Then his other hand is around my neck and he clasps his fingers together. For some reason I was frozen.

"Kiss me," he mumbles. His lips are so close but I turn my head away.

"Why?" I question. I need to know why he desperately needs my lips on his. His eyes twinkle in the dim light of the kitchen. His gaze is soft and caring and we lock eyes as he speaks.

"Because you make me feel this type of way," he pauses, "You make my heart beat out of my chest. You make my palms sweat. Every time I'm with you or near you, I just want to cover you in kisses. You make my stomach flutter with... fireflies."

While he was talking, my hands slithered their way to his waist, holding on to his thin body. My fingers played with the hem of his shirt and he took a baby-step closer.

"Oh yeah?" I whisper, blushing at his words.

"You make me feel happy and God, your eyes are so beautiful and I get lost in them every time. And I'm tired of getting lost, it's exhausting, looking at you and knowing I can't get out. So I decided to do something about it," Sam says, his voice faded off as he stares at me.

I pull him in closer by the waist, feeling a little confident. His hands tighten around my neck. Our foreheads are nearly touching. His sudden confession of being obsessed with me makes me realize he's been crushing on me just as long as I've been crushing on him. But he's finally doing something about it while I wasn't.

"Kiss me baby," Sam whispers against my lips. So I do.

In the middle of a Thursday night, in the middle of our kitchen, I kiss my best friend. His lips are thin but soft against mine. We work in sync and I grip my nails in his sides. He's cupping my face now, like he can't get enough of me.

When we pull apart, we're breathless. I ache to kiss him again but his hands loosen. They travel to my hands which are still on his waist. He takes them and places my hands on his cheeks. His skin is warm. Then he leans up and connects our lips again.

I kiss him more roughly this time, cupping his face lightly. His hands find themselves under my shirt, on the waistband of my black skinny jeans. I swipe my tongue on his bottom lip and he seemed to fall, weak in the knees I guess. I wrap an arm around his waist as he leans back. He tries to pull away from me but I follow him, our lips never disconnecting.

But soon I needed air and I pulled away. His lips were swollen and redder and I'm sure mine looked the same. His eyes were sparkling now.

"Wow," was all I said. We stayed in that position, my arm wrapped around him, his hands on my waist. My head was buzzing because I just kissed my best friend and it wasn't horrible. In fact, I liked it a lot.

"Colby?" Sam said, his voice quiet.

"Hmm?" I hum. I lean down and connect our lips again. Then I gently lift his chin up and nibble away at his neck. He sighs contently.

"Fireflies," is all he said. I pull back confused. He laughs slightly.

"You give me fireflies," he says.

"But isn't the saying butterflies? You give me butterflies?" I question. Sam is silent for a second and I take the opportunity to peck his lips.

"Yeah but you make me feel like I'm on fire," he says moments later. "Your kiss sets me on fire." I lean in to kiss him again. This time softly and with passion because I didn't want to burn him.

(Ah that's cute, sorry it's short)