tequila

The night is humid and blades of grass stick to my arms. I am laying on my back in one of the many fields near my house. I close my eyes and listen to the world around me. It was quiet except for the sound of crickets. My phone suddenly buzzed in my pocket and I pull it out. It was from my best friend, Sam. He told me he is almost here. I was glad, I was getting annoyed at waiting for so long. I didn't respond, instead put my phone in my pocket and sit up. I watch the tree line because I knew that was the way he was coming. His house was right behind them. I lived a street over from him.

I see his figure walking out of the woods and into the open field. As he got closer I noticed he was wearing a hoodie. It's literally like 80° out and he's in a sweatshirt, that's Sam for you.

"It's about time you got here," I said as he sat down next to me.

"Yea yea. I had to wait until Ben went to sleep," Sam groaned, placing his backpack down in front of us. Ben was his little brother whose room was right next to Sams.

"Did you bring it?" I asked into the quiet. I could feel Sam staring at me so I turned my head. His blond hair falling into his eyes as they shined in the moonlight. I blinked.

"Yea but listen Colby," Sam started. I reached for his bag and he slapped my hand away.

"Ow," I pout, rubbing it.

He slowly unzipped the bag and pulled out the bottle. He brought tequila this time. My heartbeat rose as I thought about drinking it's contents. He held it close to his chest. I wanted it now.

"Colby," Sam snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked him in the eyes and he continued talking.

"You can't drink it all this time. Ok? My parents asked where the other bottle went. I had to tell them I accidentally dropped it when getting the goldfish from the pantry," Sam said.

I giggled thinking about last week when I finished the whole bottle. It made my insides warm and fuzzy and tingly. It made me feel good and I craved the feeling again.

Once I told Sam I wouldn't drink the whole thing again, he passed me the bottle. I eagerly popped the cap and pressed the bottle to my lips. I took a big sip and then wiped my mouth. The alcohol burned my throat but I've gotten used to it. I took another sip then passed the bottle to Sam.

I watched his Adam's apple as he swallowed a sip. He cringed slightly but didn't say anything. I grabbed the bottle from him again, craving it's existence. I chugged it, not caring about the burn, until Sam smacked my arm.

"Slow down, you're gonna be drunk before midnight," Sam whisper yells. Tequila tends to get into your system faster causing a person to get drunk quicker.

I sighed, he was right. I set the bottle between us making sure it won't tip over. I could already feel my insides mixing with the alcohol. Soon I'll just be numb. I laughed randomly.

Sam was laying on his back now, staring at the sky. I followed his actions. It was quiet between us but it wasn't awkward. I let my body feel nothing, I let my body go numb from the tequila. Sam and I have been doing this for six months now. He would sneak out his parents wine, sometimes liquor, and we would drink it in the fields surrounding our houses.

I sat up and took another sip, I motioned the bottle to Sam but he shook his head. He wasn't much of a drinker.

"Sam," I mumbled softly. I pat him on the shoulder, now it was his turn to sit up. We sat criss cross in front of each other, our knees touching.

"Yes Colby?" Sam questioned.

Sam was such a good friend. He was always there for me, always by my side. He was there when I broke my arm freshman year. He was there when I had my first heartbreak. He was there when my parents split up. He was the first one who saw me cry and didn't make fun of me.