watermelon sugar

The sun was setting, colors mixing in the sky like a paint palette and slowly descending into the horizon. The blanket was laid out in the field of tall grass. The summer was nearing an end but neither boy wanted it to. Summer ending meant no more late night picnics, no more late night karaoke under the moon, no more late night conversations, no more curfews.

"Sunsets are always perfect in the summer," Colby sighed. He was on his back, leaning on his elbows to gaze at the fiery ball of energy that would soon vanish.

"I wish it would be summer forever." The blonde next to him was leaning his head on Colby's shoulder, absentmindedly playing with the rings on Colby's hand.

"You said that last year," Colby giggled.

"I'll keep saying it until it comes true," Sam sighed.

It was quiet once more as the sun set the sky into darkness. The birds stopped chirping and suddenly the crickets started up. It was peaceful and serene. Sam brushed some of his hair off his forehead as it stuck and flicked a blade of grass off the blanket. It was completely dark now, just the way they liked it. It took several moments for Sams eyes to adjust to the minimal light but when they finally did he saw just how beautiful Colby was in the dark too.

Sam leaned off of Colby and sat criss cross next to him. The stars were twinkling above their heads and if they were lucky they would see a shooting star. Wind blew around them causing the trees to swirl and the tall grass to sway. But they wouldn't change it for the world.

"How many days do we have left?" Sam was still playing with Colby's rings. They fascinated him. The small circles of fashion that stayed in place on his finger. Colby sat up and caressed Sams face. Sam was forced to look at Colby, his blue eyes pouring into his.

"Let's not talk about that," Colby whispered, the wind taking his words. He pressed his lips softly against the blondes.

Their parents never worried about them being out so late. As long as they were home for breakfast, they were free to come home whenever. One time they stayed out until 6am- talking, laughing, kissing under the moonlight. But they were home before breakfast so they didn't get in trouble.

Sam was older than Colby by a couple months. But everyone thinks Colby is older. The brunette hair and darker eyes makes him look more mature, Sam guessed. Or maybe it was because Sam was so much more smaller than Colby. Either way Sam liked being the younger looking one of them.

"So did you bring them?" Sam mumbled against Colby's lips. It seemed like time stands still ever time their lips touch.

Every night it was  a different fruit. Last night it was watermelon. He saw the container Colby brought with him but they haven't opened it yet. They wait until it's dark to eat them.

Colby smiled into the kiss and reached around for the container of fruit. His fingers clasp around the box and he opens the lid. This was Sams favorite part. Colby would eat the fruit and he had to guess which one it was. He whined when Colby pulled away from him to take a bite. He kept his eyes closed, afraid of seeing the fruit before he could guess. He could hear Colby chewing and the anticipation was killing him.

"Hmm ready?" Colby hummed out, leaning back in. Their lips collided once more and Sam took immediate action. His tongue swirled around Colby's lips until he finally let him in. Sam used his tongue to explore every inch of Colby's mouth, searching for the sweet flavor. And then he found it and moaned.

"Tastes like strawberries," Sam said. He liked strawberries more.

"And you are correct," Colby smiled keenly. Colby licked his lips and reached for the container of strawberries. Sam watched him take one out and pull back the tiny green leaves at the top before biting into it. He tossed the part he hadn't eaten into the grass behind him.