i never told you

Colby and Sam are best friends. They've known each other for quite some time now. They did everything together from being band geeks in high school to moving to LA to achieve their dreams. They know everything about each other too. Sam knows Colby hates spicy foods and loves wearing sweatshirts in 90° heat. Colby knows Sam hates the color green and loves playing video games in his spare time. And they get along. They fight every now and then over stupid things like who should wash the dishes and take out the trash but that's normal for every friendship.

Colby started to grow feelings for his best friend one year ago. He noticed when his vibrant blue eyes sparkled in the light and when he smiled dimples appeared on his cheeks. He noticed his thin lips when he spoke making Colby lick his own. He noticed his tiny hands that wrapped around the steering wheel, fingernails always painted. The way his blonde hair was always styled yet looked so messy. And Colby never noticed that earlier in their friendship.

And at the same time that Colby started having feelings for Sam, Sam started talking to Katrina. They met at a party, Corey introduced her to Sam and they hit it off. And after weeks of hanging out Colby knew Sam loved her.

"Colby I'm going out," Sam shouted from the kitchen. Colby rolled his eyes but didn't respond. Instead he hit play on his computer, the Stranger Things theme song playing. He didn't hear the footsteps leading to his room or the door open. His eyes were more focused on the screen.

He jumped when he felt his bed dip and his eyes widened. Sam was sitting on the end of his bed, keys dangling from his fingers. Colby pauses the video.

"Did you hear me?" Sam questions. His tone was serious.

"Yeah, you're leaving. I heard you," Colby muttered, wishing Sam would just leave him alone.

Ever since Sam and Katrina started dating, Colby kept his distance. He knew his feelings for Sam would show even more because now he was jealous. Jealous that Sam loved someone else. So Colby spoke to Sam less and didn't do as much with Sam anymore. But Sam never notices because he's always with Katrina, his girlfriend.

Sam narrowed his eyes, swinging his keys around his finger. He's noticed Colby's distantness but hasn't said anything to the brunette. He had hoped Colby would say something first.

"Yeah I'm going out with Katrina," Sam said, watching Colby's expression. He knew he didn't have to say who he was hanging out with, Colby already knew. But Sam wanted to see the way Colby responded. He saw Colby physically grimace at her name.

"Ok I don't care. You can leave now, you're gonna be late," Colby said, checking his invisible watch before glancing at his screen. Sam bit his lip, he hated how Colby had turned so cold once he found out Sam was dating Katrina.

"Whatcha watching?" Sam asked suddenly. Colby's eyes lifted from the paused screen to look at Sam. Colby noticed he was wearing black jeans with cuts at the knees and one of Colby's sweatshirts. Colby lifted his eyesbrows but didn't say anything about it.

"Nothing," Colby grumbled, kicking Sam lightly. Sam fisted his keys before standing up, giving Colby a glare.

"Fine. Whatever," Sam sighed. He got to the door before he stopped and turned to look at Colby. "Since when do you have to be so rude?"

Before Colby could answer him, Sam was already gone. The door shut with a click and Colby was left alone again. Colby doesn't mean to be rude but it's the only way for him to not confess his feelings to Sam. After watching all eight episodes of Stranger Things, Colby was tired. It was close to 2am and Sam wasn't back yet. He always comes back.

Colby sends him a quick text before getting up to brush his teeth. His tired eyes took in his appearance in the mirror. Ever since Katrina came along, Colby's been sleeping less, rolling around in his bed, restless, because all he could think about was Sam in the next room over. All he had to do was walk the three steps to his room and pour his heart out to the smaller boy. But each night his mind told him not to, in fear of ruining his friendship and Sams relationship. He's surprised Sam hasn't noticed the dark bags under his eyes. Yet Sam hasn't noticed Colby at all, or so he thinks.