sipping on fire

It was 9 o clock at night, the sun had set long ago and a light breeze was floating through my open window. I was sitting at my computer, editing the new Sam and Colby video. It was a normal Saturday night, well scratch that, it was a Saturday night. We usually don't have people over on a Saturday night but it was Jakes birthday on Monday and we're celebrating early.

I was still editing the video when I heard the guests starting to arrive. Moments later music was blasting from downstairs, the bass making the walls vibrate. I checked my phone, 10:30pm. I sighed and rubbed my face, I just wanted to sleep. But I know I have to make an appearance at this party of ours.

Somehow through all the noise downstairs, I hear a knock on my door. I roll over to the door on my chair and open it because I'm that lazy. It was Sam. He was wearing black skinny jeans and a long sleeved shirt. His hands were tucked into the shirt making it look like he had paws. He enters my room and shuts the door.

"It's cold in here," Sam comments, sitting on my bed. I point to the open window and he nods.

"Are you going down to the party?" I asked.

"Um yea but I didn't want to walk down alone," Sam says looking at the ground.

Typical of Sam, he never really goes or does anything with me by his side. I'm sort of like him comforter.

"Ok let me change real quick," I sigh. I look down at my basketball shorts and white shirt. I can't wear this to a party. I walk into my closet and throw out my black jeans. I rifle through my shirts and decide to wear my purple hoodie. I notice Sams face turn red. He's seen me change hundreds of times before I don't know why he's getting flustered now.

Once I'm done changing we head downstairs, closing my door behind me. The music was way louder down here and all the lights were off except for a few. Strobe lights danced on the ceiling. There were people mingling everywhere. With all the bodies, it was a lot hotter down here too. Most of the people I didn't recognize because Jake knew them from somewhere. Sam stuck close to my side as we made it into the kitchen.

Red solo cups were covering the countertops and bottles of liquor were haphazardly laying around. I organized them into a line at the center of the counter. I picked a new cup for myself and poured some.

"Want any?" I ask Sam. He nods and I pour him some too. We sip slowly and look around. Though it's Jakes party I don't see him anywhere. A few people come up to us and talk.

"Hey what song is this?" A random girl comes up to me and Sam. She's pretty with long blonde hair and green eyes. She's wearing a skimpy red dress, a red cup in her hand. She's probably drunk.

"I can't really hear it," I shout at her. The bass was too loud to hear any of the lyrics. I start to turn away from her but she grabs my wrist.

"Hey-,"

"I asked you a question," she shouts and I can see the anger in her eyes.

"I don't know this song," I shout back at her, twisting my arm so she releases her grip on me. She tilters in her heels, then walks away. It was obvious she was trying to get more than just the song name.

"Well that was weird," I yell at Sam who looks horrified.

"I think she was drunk," Sam says. I nodded in agreement and filled my cup up again.

We venture into the living room to see people making out on one side of our couch while the other side was unoccupied. I motion for Sam to sit down. Someone has a microphone now and is screaming the lyrics to the song.

I think this is one of the worst parties I've ever been too. It's probably because I'm not in the mood to party. Maybe I'll just drink until I'm in the mood.