bright lights

I needed to get out of here. I needed a break, away from all the bright lights and neon signs, traffic all the time and people shouting at each other. I needed to get away from Hollywood and all the fake people, just for awhile. It was making me go crazy, insane.

I had some family down in Georgia, miles away from California where I now live. But Georgia was better than being in LA, where all the crazy people are. I booked a flight and was soon headed deep into the woods of northern Georgia.

I was an actor, been in four big upcoming movies and made appearances in tv show episodes. I was always working, either studying scripts or being recorded, I was always doing something. I rarely ever get a break. While walking down the street or at a grocery store, fans would always come up to me and ask for photos and autographs. I didn't mind too much, I knew it would come with the job. And I was always doing photoshoots or interviews, always on the move. I deserved a break and once coming to my manger about it, he agreed as well. Said something about when I come back I'll be better than ever. So he let me go for three weeks.

Now, after being picked up from the airport by my parents, I'm driving to their cabin in the woods. It was about a three hour ride from the airport. All the while, I talked to them about my life. They talked to be about theirs. We were basically updating each other on our lives. We don't see each other often.

"You have any trouble at the airport?" My dad asked.

"Not really, a few girls recognized me but that was it," I said, thinking back to the four or five girls who had come up to me all giggly. It was cute and I gladly smiled for their photo.

"Have you have any trouble with fans in the past?" my mom questions.

"Not yet," I reply.

With that we pulled onto a gravel road. It was bumpy and very long but a few moments later we're pulling onto a dirt driveway. The cabin that was before me was beautiful. Dark wood covered all sides of the house and there was a porch with a swing. Dad pulled into the parking spot and turned the car off.

"Now son, we have a guest besides Gage here with us. You'll have to share a room with the neighbors boy," dad informed me. Gage was my brother, older than me by two years.

"Why is the neighbors boy here?" I ask, getting my suitcase. I've never met him.

"He loves it here so much he didn't want to go with his family to the islands for vacation. We offered to keep watch on him and now he's here," my mother said. She knocked on the front door and my brother opens it.

"Colby," his eyes brighten when he sees me. The only time he ever sees me now is on tv. I haven't seen him since I left for acting school, about four years ago. He hugs me tightly before grabbing my suitcase and hauling it inside.

The inside of the cabin smelled like wood and lavender, mom must've cleaned before I came. The kitchen was right off the door and then a big open space as the living room. A tv and two couches sat there along with a fireplace. I saw Gage go down a small hallway and into a room on the left. He returns without my suitcase.

"Cmon let me show you around," Gage smiles at me. He's grown a little since the last time I saw him. His brown hair he had let grown out and it covered his ears.  But his glasses were still perched on his nose. I was the only one who doesn't wear glasses.

He showed me my room and the neighbors boy room, his room, the bathroom and the basement, where mom and dad slept. So far the neighbors boy had yet to appear and I was kind of curious about him.

We were all talking outside when suddenly a loud truck comes barreling down the driveway. "There he comes," my dad comments. My parents go inside to start making dinner. It's different here so far but I like it.