blue roses

Colby glared at Sam, eyes shooting daggers into the blondes skin. Sam huffed and crossed his arms, pointing his foot out. He waited for Colby to blow up again like he always does. It's always yelling and screaming, never any contact. They would argue and fight over the littlest things. Things that have only made themselves evident since they moved in together. Yesterday it was about washing the dishes, the day before that was about putting the shoes in the closet and not in the middle of the living room and the day before that they argued about the tv remotes and which couch they should be left on.

But today seemed much worse than those petty things they fight over. Today Colby came home, madder than usual, and started yelling at Sam who had been sitting peacefully on the couch.

"I swear everytime I walk through that door you're sitting on your lazy bum," Colby had shouted. "And every time I ask you to do something you take your sweet old time like we're not getting any older."

The roar from his voice seemed to shake the walls. Sam was glad it was late afternoon and not the middle of the night.

"What do you expect me to do Colby? It's not like I don't have a job. They didn't schedule me today," Sam shouted back. Today had been his first day off in two weeks and he was enjoying doing nothing.

"You could have been doing something productive like laundry or ordering a new dishwasher since you broke the other one," Colby yelled back. Sam had known Colby long enough to see when he was really getting angry and right now was one of those moments.

"Oh, so the dishwasher breaking is my fault? Because last time I checked you were the last to use it."

Colby's skin boiled and his eyes seemed to glow with rage. He didn't like that Sam changed the subject. He walked towards Sam who had now stood up. Sam kept his ground, watching and waiting as Colby came face to face with him.

"You're the one who bought the stupid thing in the first place. Maybe if it wasn't so dirt cheap it would still be working," Colby ranted, voice raised. Sam rolled his eyes and tried to step around Colby.

"Uh no, where do you think you're going?" Colby yelled, grabbing Sams upper arm. Sam stared at the brunette, wide eyed, never did he imagine Colby laying a finger on him. His grip was tight and Sam tried to roll his arm away but Colby tightened the grip.

"Sam, I swear if you don't answer me..." Colby trailed off realizing his grip was so tight. The blonde whimpered and stepped back with fear in his eyes. Colby quickly tried to apologize but Sam stopped him.

"I can't do this anymore, Colby," Sam muttered, his voice was low. He closed his eyes and leaned his head against the wall.

"Do what baby?" Colby's persona seemed to instantly change once realizing he had hurt Sam. He tried coming up to Sam but the blonde shook his hands at him.

"The fighting, arguing, screaming and yelling. Blaming each other for things. It's not healthy," Sam spoke.

"What are you saying?" Colby whispered. His thoughts told him this wasn't a good sign. Colby searched Sams eyes, looking for a drop of something. But there were only welled up tears threatening to spill. He didn't want Sam to cry. He didn't want to be the reason Sam was crying.

The blonde didn't say anything. He didn't answer Colby's question. Instead he hung his head and Colby saw the tears falling.

"Are you... are you breaking up with me?" Colby's voice was high and squeaky and he was trying his hardest not to cry. But his eyes blurred with unshed tears and his throat closed in. He was having a hard time breathing too.

"Colbs, look," the boy in front of him whispered. "I just think we need some time and space away from each other."

Sam was trying to hold himself together too. He'd been with Colby for so long he didn't know how to live without him. Sam collapsed on the couch and Colby followed his actions.