friends

It was late. The sun had set hours ago, dropping the temperature by five degrees. It didn't help that there was a slight breeze swirling around either. Unfortunately the streetlight at the end of Colby's neighborhood had burned out, so darkness surrounded them.

They were laying in the tall grass at the end of the neighborhood. Very rarely did anyone ever go out there. Their shoulders were brushing slightly and sparks went flying through Colby's veins. And although it was chilly out, Colby was sweating. His heart beat was raised and he could literally feel the blood flowing through his veins. He felt alive.

Sam had been quiet the whole time. He enjoyed Colby's company, yes, but he was busy thinking about what could happen.

Best friends aren't supposed to kiss.

But that's what's been happening every night they meet, in the cold night air, laying in the field. It always happened slowly, hands touching, rolling over to face each other. They'd lean their heads in close until there was no space left and then they were kissing.

It would only last a couple minutes, before anything could get heated. But it always happened, every night. Colby enjoyed the way Sams lips were warm against his, how his tiny hand was clutching Colby's shirt- seemingly wanting more.

And when they pulled apart, they wouldn't say anything. They didn't want to ruin the moment. Colby would gaze longingly at Sam, wanting the smaller boy to know how he felt about him. But Sam was always looking up at the sky, at the twinkling stars above. And Colby didn't want to ruin the peacefulness of it all, so he never said a word.

But tonight was different, tonight Sam was thinking about it. He was thinking about how Colby was his best friend, and best friends don't kiss each other. He felt nervous tonight and his hands were clammy. His heart was beating fast too but not for the same reasons Colby's was.

Colby slid his fingers through the thin grass to hold Sams hand. Colby noticed his clamminess but didn't mention it. He just gripped Sams hand and rolled into his side. He studied the side of Sams face: the way his jawline was exposed, his plump lips that were parted, his pale skin in the moonlight. And everything seemed perfect.

Sam eventually rolled over too, wanting to get it over with. Though he did like Colby's rough lips on his, he knew this wasn't right because friends don't kiss. They leaned their foreheads together and Colby smiled to himself.

Then like a magnet, they attracted towards each other. Until their lips were touching. Sams lips moved slightly allowing Colby to take control, like he always does. In the moment, Sam forgot about how he was kissing his friend. Instead he let Colbys mouth lure him into feeling loved.

But as soon as his lips were gone, Sam couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't take the secret kissing, the thought of being loved by Colby, the unshared feelings he felt towards his best friend. And Sam had to say something this time.

"We can't keep doing this," Sam whispered.

Colby was shocked, normally Sam never spoke, neither of them did. Sam didn't turn away to look at the stars tonight. He was still facing Colby but his eyes were closed, silent tears leaking from his eyes.

"Why?" Colby whispered back. It felt too weird to use normal level voice. Colby didn't think Sam had had a problem with this until just now.

"Because we're best friends," Sam whispered, voice cracking. He opened his eyes to look at Colby. He was just a blurry figure from his tears. He quickly wiped them suddenly feeling embarrassed.

Colby's heart broke at Sams words. Best friends. That's all they were in Sam's eyes but Colby wanted more. He needed Sam in ways more than a best friend. And he was trying to tell Sam that every night but Sam never noticed.

"We can't keep doing this," Sam said again.

It was breaking Sams heart too because he didn't want to lose Colby. He didn't want to lose their friendship. But they couldn't keep doing this either.

"I can't take it anymore Colby," Sam said. The tears had stopped falling from his eyes but there was still a lump in his throat.

"Take what?" Colby finally found his words. He wanted to comfort Sam but he knew it wasn't the right time.

"Kissing you and trying not to fall in love," Sam whispers. His voice was low and his words were taken in the breeze.

Colby reached for Sams hand, bringing it to his lips. He placed soft kisses to the blondes skin. Sam waited for Colby to say something.

"Sam, I've been trying to tell you," Colby mumbles against Sams skin. Sam waited.

"I have feelings for you," Colby admitted softly, gazing into Sams eyes lovingly. Before Sam could say anything Colby spoke again.

"I want to hold you every night and kiss your forehead. I want to see you smile when our eyes connect. I want to make you feel good and give you everything you want. I want to kiss you, and make you fall in love with me."

Colby spoke more but Sam had stopped paying attention. Instead he was focused on Colby's eyes, who hadn't moved from Sam's. He saw how passionate his gaze was, how loving it was, and Sam saw how Colby truly felt about Sam.

Sam didn't let the brunette talk anymore and pulled him in for another kiss. This time it was different. It had feelings and emotions poured into it. Their lips moved together better now that they were on the same page. Colby's hands reached up and cupped the smaller ones cheeks, causing the kiss to deepen.

And they were breathless when they pulled apart. Their breathing was mixed with each other's. Colby kept hold of Sams tiny hand and realized the smaller boy was shivering. With how they were positioned on the ground, Colby could easily wrap an arm around Sams body to warm him up. Sam sighed contently in Colby's arms, finally feeling happy and loved.

"So what does this mean?" Sam whispered in the crook of Colby's neck. It sent shivers down Colby spine and he wanted Sam to keep talking.

"Well it definitely means we're more than friends now," Colby laughed lightly.

"Ok. I like the sound of that," Sam mumbles, feeling tired.

For the next few hours, they laid on their backs. Colby had Sam wrapped in his arm, Sams head positioned on Colby's chest. Both boys were staring at the stars, watching them twinkle, enjoying each other's company. And that night when Sam crawled back through his window, he had the biggest smile on his face. And when Colby entered his dark quiet house, he almost squealed in joy because Sam was finally his.