sign of the times

Sirens howled in the night sky. I stirred awake, thinking it was just Sam messing around. But when I reached for him he was still fast asleep. That caused me to bolt up in bed. The room was still dark yet every few seconds a flashing light would shine through the windows. The whole apartment lit up when they did. And that noise was so loud and piercing.

Sam had begun to stir and his fingers reached across the bed for me. I touch his hand and he instantly intertwined our fingers. He looked so calm and peaceful when he slept but I had to go figure out where that noise and light was coming from. I release his grip and his hand falls flat on the bed. He rubs his eyes as I get out of bed.

The hardwood floor was cold on my feet and I cursed myself for not wearing socks. I tiptoed to the window and opened the blinds slowly. From the fifth floor I could see everything. But now the hard rain was hindering my view and I only saw police lights from down below.

"Baby?" Sam grumbles in his sleep. I turn to look at him to see he's leaning up on his elbow. I look past him to see our digital clock, 3:00am. After glancing out the window again, I crawl back into bed. Sam curls into me and I hold him tight, pulling the covers to our chins.

"What is it?" He whispers, sleep evident in his voice. I run my fingers through his soft blonde hair. The rain seemed to be coming down harder now.

"Police, I think," I replied. I felt him nod and I leaned down to kiss his forehead. Eventually the lights stopped and the horrendous noise seizes and I fell back asleep.

——

When we woke up that morning the rain was still beating hard against the windows. We were slow to get up, enjoying each other's warmth. Sam was the morning person though and he dragged himself out of bed first. I watched his petite body move towards the window and he opens the blinds. Not much light came in. He then looks at me laying on the bed and pouts.

"What, my love?" I question.

"It's still raining," Sam said. I roll my eyes and stare at the droplets dripping from the window. He leaves the room, assumingely to go make coffee. I reach for my phone and scroll through Twitter.

I saw something that made my blood turn cold and I instantly ran into our tiny living room to turn on the tv. Sam was concerned and came running to my side asking if I was hurt. I turned the volume up on the tv after finding the news station.

"Throughout the US, there have been multiple reports of earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes that have popped up suddenly. Our meteorologist is having trouble explaining all this commotion," the news anchor said.

The tv switches over to the weatherman. He shows us a map of the US and how it's covered in rain, everywhere.

"Unfortunately I don't see a stopping to the rain anytime soon. As for the earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes I hope there is no more. As of now Florida is mostly underwater. Parts of Oklahoma, Kansas and other landlocked states have been destroyed by tornadoes..." the guy continues to tell us all the other damage these unpredicted storms have caused.

I walk out to our balcony and Sam follows behind me. The wind outside was howling and it whipped through my disheveled hair. Sams hands wrap around my waist as I look over the edge. Rain smacked me on the face, it was almost painful. I realized it was hail. There were few cars on the roads and police were everywhere.

"Babe?" Sam said, voice filled with fear. I push him back inside and lock the balcony door.

"How is this happening?" I said walking back and forth in the room. Unexplainable storms and such tearing up the world.