5

"we take care of our own"

There was something about the Slytherin common room that really made you feel comfortable

There was something about the Slytherin common room that really made you feel comfortable. It was luxurious and posh- probably because of all the donations the pure blood families give to make it so.

After dinner, right after the prefects showed us the way to the common room, my friends and I found a seat in one of the many expensive looking couches and continued our conversation. It's hilarious because it wasn't like we didn't see each other often or write to each other every day but I guess it was us feeling excited for our future together in Slytherin. It pushed my friends and I to talk about unnecessary topics just to spend more time together.

I felt at home. I really did.

"I know it shouldn't bother me," Daphne started looking down her lap. "The older Slytherins all cheered for us but I couldn't help but notice the glares sent our way. Especially from the Gryffindorks."

Theo had his arm around Daphne in an instant. "We're only first years and already we have people glaring at us."

They did glare. I noticed that the ginger head that was awestruck from earlier was suddenly looking at me with such anger it surprised me.

"That's nothing new. We're Slytherins. We're hated for being born brilliant." Draco said nonchalantly from beside me. "We take care of our own."

We all nodded agreeing with him. After a few sleepy yawns, we all decided to head to bed. All the boys shared one dorm while Daphne and I shared with a few other girls from our year.

They were already fast asleep when we came in. Changing into our night gowns, we both said our good nights and closed our eyes.

Tomorrow was a new day.

-

At breakfast, we sat at our same seating arrangement. The mail came and happily I opened a letter from my grandfather, giving our family owl a scratch and a piece of bacon.

Draco pushed a box of sweets at me. "From mum."

I take it giving him a grateful smile. "Give my love to your mum, please."

He nods going back to reading his own letter.

I look down at mine and smile. It's barely been a day but I already missed my grandfather.

My little one,

As expected, congratulations on making it to Slytherin. A long line of great Emrys' have been in Slytherin and I have no doubt that you will be just as great or even greater.

I want you to enjoy your time is Hogwarts because my years in Hogwarts are still the best years of my life. Create mischief if you must but you know my rule with that, never get caught.

I've sent over books from our family collection for you to peruse during your free time. Continue learning and prove that you'll be the best Emrys' that there will ever be.