23

I broke a rib

I broke a rib. I couldn't believe it. The bludger wasn't hit that hard but I still broke a rib.

Graham wouldn't leave my side which annoyed Draco to no end. He whispered apology after apology with Draco shoving him off every now and then.

"Merlin, child! Of course it's broken. It's a bludger." Madam Pomfrey mutters waving her wand at my chest.

"Graham didn't even hit it that hard." I try to tell her maybe it was just a mistake.

Madam Pomfrey looked put-off at my comment. "Hard or not, a bludger is a bludger and it will break bones. I do believe after all these years of service in healing I ought to know what a broken bone looks like, Miss Emrys."

"More importantly, will she be able to come to Quidditch practice on Friday?" Marcus asks pushing away Draco and Graham.

"Marcus Flint! Honestly! Caring more about Quidditch practice than the wellbeing of your team member." Madam Pomfrey scolds wagging her finger at Marcus' face. "Take a deep breath dear- yes- this will only hurt-"

I yelp in shock as I hear my bone snapping back in place.

"-there all done. I'll be needing you to stay the night to make sure it heals properly."

Marcus glares down at me with eyes that could pierce the soul. "You better be out of this bed and on your broom by Friday." He wasn't mad at me. That's much for sure. I knew he's only demanding this because our Captain is actually worried for my wellbeing.

Madam Pomfrey hears this however and looks rather affronted. "That's quite enough from you, Mister Flint. Visiting hours are over. You may take your leave."

She sends a warning look at the people that were gathered around my bed and turns around in a way that Severus Snape would envy. 

My friends pat my shoulder and kiss my cheek before retreating. Graham is pushed away by Draco before he could say goodbye and Marcus sends one last warning look my way. Adrian Pucey offers a reassuring smirk and takes his leave too.

Draco stays rooted in his spot.

"I don't think Madam Pomfrey was joking when she said visiting hours were over." I tell Draco when I see him climbing on the bed beside mine.

Draco flashes me a devilish smile. "Oh? But I'm a patient too you see." He points to his sling but we both know he's already well enough. He's only wearing the sling to milk his injury. "A unified and devoted front, yeah?"

I smile back. "Not just a front."

"Yes, definitely not just a front."

-

At Potions, Draco flutters his eyelashes at Professor Snape trying to look innocent with his sling. "Professor, I need help cutting my ingredients."