Chapter 78

The very next day, I was called to bring the Emperor some tea. I used my jasmine tea today and arrived at his workplace. I open the door and stop mid-way and clench onto the tray. There I saw the Emperor and a certain guest in the room as they were discussing.

"Your highness, your tea has arrived," I spoke in a low tone and entered the room. I felt the pair of eyes staring at me which I ignore. I set the tray down and pour a cup to the Emperor. I did not even think of pouring a cup for him; I set the teapot on the table and left an extra cup. The man didn't say anything and poured himself a cup.
Once he took a sip, he shot a glance at me. "This taste familiar like I had this before," he mutters to himself even though I heard him. I got up and was about to leave.

"Liling, " the Emperor said, "I would like you to come back later today. I have some matters to discuss with you."

"Yes, " I spoke. "Your highness and 4th Prince," I gritted to say and bow my head to them and left the room.
Of all the days, today I had met him once again. You know I finally gave up on him and there I saw him again. Man... The universe is trying to screw with me!

Once I was heading back to my room, I found Lin was waiting for me.
"Oh, Lin. You didn't have to wait for me," I said, but Lin was quiet.

"Is everything alright?" I ask and look at Lin, concerned.

"My lady. . .," she mumbles and pulls out the golden hairpin with purple beads dangling as I feel my heart becoming heavy again.

*BANG* I slammed the hairpin on his table and said, "What's the meaning of this!" He looks up at me.
"It's yours, not mine," he said.
"Alright then, I officially give this to you," I said and left the room without looking back. Once I was close to the exit, my arm was yanked back. "I don't want your past love hand-me-downs,'' he said and forced it back in my hands.

"Well, I no longer need it," I said and clench it in my hands.
"Alright," He said firmly. "But I don't want it in my court, including my pond."

"As you please," I said and plastered a smile. I once again raised my arm and threw it, as hard as I can, out of his court.

"What are you doing!" He blurted out.
"I did what you said, it's not in your court." I spoke to him one last time and left.

I sigh once I left his court, feeling my heart gaining more weight. I then took a deep breath in and hardened my heart. I was determined to find a way back.

"Lin," I stated firmly as I got back. "what happened to me before I went into my long sleep?" I ask.

"My lady, why are you asking now? It's been almost a year," she figured.

"Umm, I just want to recall because it's still unclear to me," I inch my way.

"Well, it was my fault. I wasn't there with you, but I heard that you have fallen in the pond," she said.
Pond?
I collect the information and recall what happened that day.
I too fell in that ice that looked like a pond and she fell into a pond? Is the pond the answer? Is that it?

"Lin, which pond did I fall in?" I kept questioning.

"The one by the orange trees," she replied.

As a light bulb clicked.
Yes! That's right! I remember the bright light when I almost fall in that pond!
And everything was starting to click into places.
"LIN!" I said and hugged her, "Thank you."
I can finally know how to go home. . .

Later that day, I entered the Emperor's workplace again with some tea.
"Ah, Liling. You have arrived," the Emperor said and set his work down.
"What do you need to discuss with me?" I ask and set the teapot down.

"Well, it's not really a discussion, but we haven't played chess in a long time," he said and sat in front of the chessboard.
I smiled and said, "You are right." I joined him.

While he started off, I said, "Umm, your Highness. I have a negotiation to make with you." I didn't lay my eyes off the chess pieces.

"And what is that?" He answers.

"If I win this round, I would like to let my personal maid, Lin, be free," I said.
"And why is that?" He said.
I stopped playing and said, "Because I'll be leaving...,"

"I don't understand what you mean?" He said and stopped playing.
Soon, I told everything to the Emperor as he didn't say anything.

He finally said, "When are you leaving?"

"Maybe tomorrow,"I said and he just nodded his head. "So do you accept?" I asked.

"No," he said, " because I am willing to do it as a 'thank you' gift from me to you for being a daughter I never had."