TCHS Part 12

Agan stared in disbelief at the cell next to his. Eric was the only one still left in it. The others had been taken one by one, escorted by snake guards, off to face their doom. Some remained stoic, as they were being lead away. But others were crying, and begging for their lives.

He didn't know where they were being taken, or what horrific fate actually befell upon them. But he could here their screams of pain, and suffering as they each had there young lives ended in terror.

As he looked at Eric, another shrill death scream was heard in the distance. Eric just shut his eyes, as if he was contemplating his own fate. He wasn't even looking back at Agan. Why would he? Thought Agan. He obviously knows this is all my fault. He has every right to hate me. Agan then lowered his head, and began to cry.

"Agan?", he heard Eric say, "Agan, there's something I have to tell. It's something I never would have told you before. But we don't have much time left. There's something I have to tell you before I die."

"What?", Agan replied with tears in his eyes. "Do you need to tell me you hate me, and that you curse my very own existence. Because if you do, I wouldn't blame you. This is all my fault. I'm so sorry."

"No," replied Eric, "I love you, Agan. I've been in love with you since the beginning of the school year."

"Eric?", asked Agan as he furrowed his brow. "You-you're gay?"

"I have been in the closet for a long time.", explained Eric. "I know you aren't gay. But with what little time we have left, I had to at least afford myself the luxury of ridding myself of the burden."

"I can't return your feelings, Eric," said Agan. "But I admire you or being honest with me. If I did have those feelings, I would probably be very tempted. After all you are a very attractive young man. I know that I would at least feel proud that you feel that way about me. And even as a heterosexual, I am extremely flattered. But I'm sorry, that's just not my general makeup."

"I know, Agan," said Eric. "I know that Hailey is the one you love."

"H-how could you possibly know that?", Agan asked.

Eric gave him a shy smile. "I see the way you look at her," he said. "It's the same way I look at you, It's the same way she looks at you too."

Agan taken aback by this. Was Eric right? Did Hailey love him as well? For a brief second, he had almost forgotten about what was actually happening. A smile slowly crept upon his face. Then all of a sudden a snake guard had returned for Eric.

"Time to collect your wedding present for the bride and groom." Hissed the snake.

"Where are you taking him?", cried Agan. Angry tears began to stream down his face.

"You will final out soon enough," snapped the snake.

"NO!," cried Agan, "Stop this madness! You can't do this!" Eric then looked at Agan, and smiled.

"It's okay, Agan," Eric said in an eerily calm tone, "Just promise me one thing."

"What?", cried Agan. He was crying out of shear terror, with the thought of Eric also being violently murdered.

"Promise me that you will tell her that you love her," said Eric, "Please, even if nothing comes of it. Promise me you will, before it is too late."

"Let's go!" ordered the snake as he lead a calm Eric to his impending doom.

"NO!", cried Agan, "YOU BASTARDS!"

But as loud as he screamed, there was nothing he could do. A moment later, he heard Eric screaming in terror. And then silence.

"NO! ERIC!", cried Agan. While holding onto the bars, Agan burst into tears. He then slowing began to slip down to the ground.

"I'm sorry, Eric!", he cried, "I'm sorry! I promise, Eric! I promise that I will tell her!"

***************************

"Don't cry my love.", he said, "This is your wedding day. The tears you shed, should be years of joy. After all, this is going to be the happiest day of your life."

Hailey looked at him, as time itself began to feel as though it was slowing down. She could feel the warm tears still streaming down her face, as she looked into his eyes. There was love eyes. Here she was, staring at a man with burning hatred. But he kept staring at her with a loving smile.

This can't be real! She thought. Dear God! Please say none of this is real! Please say it's all a dream. I'm going to close my eyes, and when I open them, I'll be back in my tent. She slowly opened her eyes. Damn!

"Are you alright, my dear," the naga asked. She said nothing.

"I see,", he said with a bemused look upon his face. "I guess you're not talking to me. Well, I have a wedding present for you. Unfortunately I can't give it to you here."

"That's okay." She replied with little enthusiasm. "I didn't get you anything." He just chuckled.

"You do amuse me, pretty one," he replied. "I'm here to take you to your present." With that he scooped up, and held her in his arms. She let out a loud gasp, as she was not expecting it.

He then looked at her, and smiled. "I suppose we're doing things in reverse order," he told. "I believe I'm supposed to carry you across the threshold after the wedding, not before."

"Um, that's okay," she replied. I can, I can walk."

"Oh no my dear," he cooed. "As I stated before, I am your most humble servant."

As he slithered out of the cave, he gently carried her in his arms. They made their way through what looked like a temple.  There seemed to be a strange pyramid. However it was flat on the very top instead of pointed. There also seemed to be what looked like a strange green smoke coming our of the top. Ironically this was the kind of thing she was hoping to find, when she signed duo for the expedition. Well that, plus the key to Agan's heart.

As they continued on, they made there way through to a small opening at the bottom of the pyramid. They were now in a narrow corridor. And they seemed to be moving more, and more underground. Hailey started to feel weary of where they were going, she had an eerie feeling about where he was taking her.

"Where are we going?", she cried. "I don't like it here."

"There's nothing to be afraid of, my love," he replied. "Especially while you are in my arms. I will always love, and protect you."

As they kept going further, and further, down she couldn't help but shake the feel that they were in a horrible place.  The further down they went, the darker it got. Where was he taking her?  Then all of a sudden there seemed to be alight up ahead.  They soon made their way to a door, that contained the light source.  To her surprised she saw what looked to be a broken man, crying on the floor.

What have they done to him? She wondered with tears in her eyes.

"What is this?", she cried.

"This is my present to you my dear," he explained. "One last goodbye."  Tears began to run down her cheeks, as she called out to him.

"Agan!"