BCoWYW Part 3

(I do not own the picture above.)
*********************************************
Hope couldn't believe what he just said. This was her long lost relative? She had just found out about him less than twenty four hours ago, and now he just shows up on her doorstep? What was really strange was the fact that he just showed up out of the blue, and wants her to call him Uncle Mike, as if he had always been a part of her life.

"Um, hello." She replied, as she reluctantly shook his hand. He looked at her and continued to smile.

"Please forgive me." He said. "I suppose you have a lot of questions. You probably have no idea who I am. I doubt you would remember me. I haven't seen you since you were a little girl, barely two in fact. But I had kept tabs on you, and your family over the years. My guess is that this seems very odd to you."

"Well, to be honest, yes." She told him. "I didn't even know that you even existed until my father's lawyer told me yesterday, and that was only because he gave me something that belonged to them. I guess it was something they bought while traveling with you to Morocco."

"Oh my God." He said with a shocked look upon his face. "Well I probably just made a bad first impression. True, your parents, and I hadn't spoken in years. And I don't know what the lawyer knows, or what he wold have told you. But I never dreamed that either Greg, or Lois would have completely disavowed any knowledge of my existence."

"Well." She replied. "He said you had a falling out over the bottle, and-"

"That damn bottle!" He growled. "It's been nothing but trouble. It changed them, they weren't the same two people after we all discovered it."

"Discovered it?' She asked as she was now completely confused by everything that he was saying.

"Look." He said. "I'm really sorry, this is not what I had in mind when I decided to visit you today. I know you don't remember me, but I remember you. When you were born, I was so excited for my sister and Greg. I don't recall any two parent that loved their daughter more than they loved you. Lois, and I were so close growing up. I was the first one to visit her, and Greg, in the hospital the day you were born. They even let me hold you, even though I was so nervous about it. I was afraid that you might break. But you were the first baby that I ever held in my arms, and you were such a beautiful girl. And now here you stand before me a beautiful woman. And I never got to see you grow up. Plus I haven't seen my sister in sixteen years. and now she's gone. It's too late, all be cause of that damn bottle!"

As she looked at the anger on his face, she began to cry. He was talking about a couple, that loved their daughter more than anything in the world. But that didn't sound like the people that raised her. Not only that, but he talked about how much he loved her as a niece. He was describing a family that she never had, but one that she had always wanted.

"I'm sorry." She cried. "You'll have to forgive me. That last couple of days have been a whirlwind for me. Would you like to come in?"

"Please, you probably don't want to let the flies in." He replied as he walked inside the house. "And please don't apologize for being upset. After everything that's happened, it's more than understandable."

"Would you like something to drink?" She asked.

"No thank you." He replied as he looked around. "This is a beautiful home."

"Why are you here?" She asked abruptly. He looked at her, and sighed.

"I suppose that's a fair question." He told her. "Your probably wondering why I would just show up the day after their memorial service, out of the blue, after not being a part of their lives for sixteen years."