AHaCaS Part 21

(I do not own any of the images in these stories.)
*************************************************
Present day....

"Wait a minute." Said Cali. "You told me on the plane that your father's first wife died during childbirth, and that the baby was stillborn. So then that child wasn't Gabriel?"

"No." Rosy replied. "Something went wrong when he put his first wife, and himself into stasis. The only reason why it worked for her, was because of the gargoyle growing inside of her. But her body had absorbed all of the of gargoyle DNA. Overtime her body's immune system saw it as an invader. Her body was basically at war with itself, and it eventually weakened her. When she went into labor, the stress on her body was too much, it killed her. And as you just stated, the child was stillborn. The stress on her body was also what killed her unborn child. My father never got over it."

"Are you a gargoyle too?" Uncle Sal asked.

"No." Rosy told him. "Gargoyle DNA only exists in the Y chromosome. For some reason it is not compatible with the X chromosome. That probably also had a lot to do with what killed my father's first wife."

"I didn't even realize that your father was married to anyone else besides your mother." Uncle Sal added.

"Actually he chose my mother for her strong resemblance to his first wife." Rosy replied. "But he never loved her. All she was was a sad reminder to him for what he had lost."

"And how exactly did they meet?" Uncle Sal asked, as he crossed his arms as he look as though he was passing judgment.

"He saw her walking along the street one day." Rosy replied.

"That's one way of putting it." Uncle Sal replied with a cold expression on his face. "I heard he just abducted her right off of the street. Like father, like son. And then over the years he would beat her so bad, that he would have to send her away until her bruises healed. He apparently used to tell everyone that she went to the spa. I hope it's wasn't the same spa where Gabriel sent you."

"Uncle Sal, please!" Cali cried, as she was stunned by her uncle's attitude.

"It's alright." Rosy told her. "I don't make any excuses for my family, or my father. I hated how he treated my mother. And no, that was not the spa that Gabe sent me to. He loves me, and he loves Cali. Gabe would never hurt her like that."

"Then your brother really did send you to a spa?" Uncle Sal asked.

"The truth is that he was angry at me." Rosy told him. "And I was angry at him. He said I was acting childish, and had me locked up in my house for the last couple of days. It was supposed to be for a month. He said if I was going to act like a child, then he would ground me like a child."

"What?' Cali asked as she couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Can't you see Cali?" Uncle Sal proclaimed. "My life is not worth your freedom. This man will dominate, and control you. No offense Miss Esposito, but I don't want him treating my niece like this."

"But I'm hoping that she's the one who can bring my true bother back." Said Rosy. "I guess I shouldn't have told you about my lockdown, without Gabe's permission. But if this relationship is going to work, it should be free of secrets. You both witnessed first hand the danger that you are now both in. Gabe is overprotective, but he worries about the people he cares about the most."

"I care about him, and I understand why he's so overprotective." Cali told her. "But why does he try to control everyone he loves?"

"We adored our mother, and it devastated him the most when she died." Rosy explained. "He knew our father's life was always in danger because of who our father was. Gabe accepted that a long time ago. But he felt guilty about our mother. He blamed himself, because he refused to be a part of the family business. And in doing so, he believes that's what got our mother killed. So he felt obligated to take our father's place as head of the family. Although he initially did it reluctantly, once he avenged our parent's murder, he had been baptized in the enemy's blood. And he was then forever changed."