In the Depths of His Cold Heart

I do not own the pictures featured above or below.
**************************************************
"A toast!", he proclaimed. "To my beautiful daughter Holly! May God bless you with all of the joys in life, equal to the joy He bestowed upon me the day you were born!"

"To Holly!" The small group replied in unison. With that they all clinked glasses, and drank the champagne. The party consisted of five people aboard a large private yacht. They were gathering in a small lounge area.

"You're all going make me cry." Said Holly as she started to wipe the tears from her eyes.

"I couldn't be more proud of you sweetheart." Her father told her. "It's not everyday that someone graduates high school. Not only that, but as valedictorian."

"Brains and beauty are such a rare combination."  Her stepmother Alicia added.

"You would know." A cold snarky voice replied. Everyone turned to see Holly's mother with a cold smug expression on her face. She stood there with her glass of champagne, as she shot her ex-husband and his young wife a look that could bring down an elephant.

"Do you have something to say Vivian?", he asked in an annoyed tone.

"Oh nothing, Roger."  She replied sarcastically. "What could I possibly add to this momentous occasion?  I mean it's not like I have the resources that you have to buy our daughter's love. I mean taking your private yacht into the middle of the ocean so you wouldn't be breaking any laws, when you serve your eighteen year old champagne. I mean most parents would just serve it to them this one night, and just not inform the local authorities. But not you Roger, no we have to go all the way out into international waters!"

"Mom Please!", cried Holly.

"Vivian!" Roger began. "You're drunk!  Now I know you and I haven't gotten along in years, but I was willing to put all of that aside for Holly's sake. I'm making an effort, I wish you could do the same."

"Don't act so high, and mighty!" Vivian said with a sarcastic chuckle. "It's easy to live in the magic kingdom when you're married to Minnie Mouse over there.  Boy Alicia I hope you had the brains, unlike me, to get a prenup.  Because if he decides he wants a new trophy, you could end up like me.  You know, broke, and without your children's custody.  In fact if I were you I wouldn't have any children. You wouldn't want to mess up that perfect little figure of yours!"

"Enough Vivian, I left you more than enough to live on!" He replied in anger. "And you know it!  If you hadn't drunk most of it, or snorted it up your nose, you'd still have plenty to live on!  And I would have gladly shared joint custody of James, and Holly if I didn't have to worry about how their mother was going to behave!"

"Well maybe if I hadn't always tried to be the perfect little high society wife, I wouldn't have needed to escape reality!" She exclaimed in anger. "And when I was always your loyal wife, and trying to be the perfect mother to your children, you were off fucking that gold digging whore!"

"That's it Vivian!" exclaimed Roger. "I will not have you talk about my wife like that!"

"Go to hell, Roger!" Vivian Cried. "You and your little piece of jailbait can go-!"

"PLEASE STOP!" Cried Holly. "I can't take it anymore!"  She had enough, and she ran out of there as quickly as she could. As she made her way outside to starboard side of the ship, she stared int the night's sky. Holly thought about her parents during her childhood. There wasn't a time in her life when she could ever remember them getting along. Her brother James was five years older than her, and even he couldn't remember a time like that either.

Then about five years ago, everything came to a head. For years her mother had developed a cocaine, and alcohol addiction. Her father even tried to work with their mother to get her some help. But her mother had just grown more bitter, and resentful over the years. And when it comes to addiction, you can't help someone unless they actually want to help themselves. So it wasn't really all that big of a surprise when their father informed everyone that he was leaving their mother for a younger woman.