Chapter Forty-Eight: Without Him

Rikki's POV:
I couldn't deny that having Kael being confined to bed rest was upsetting, I missed him.

He tried to make my birthday great and I knew he didn't think it was but it was amazing. New year was similar, it was fun. We stayed cuddled up in bed watching movies and eating popcorn before watching the fireworks on tv.

But the worst part was going back to school granted we only had less then six months left to go but I'd be without Kael for at least one of those months.

Every morning for the last three weeks I've been waking up early so I don't wake Kael. I can't bare to see his sad face when I have to leave.

I kissed his forehead and gently stroked his hair before I left.

School wasn't too bad without Kael, no rogues approached me mainly because Jace, Bentley, Caine or Carter would always be around me.

Although lunch was horrible without him, Kael always said it was his favourite time at school because we could all relax. I choose to sit between Jace and Jude almost everyday but on the odd occasion I'd sit between my big brothers.

I wished I could mind link Kael but our mate bond isn't complete at the moment it's just a mark that can fade or be re-marked which frightens me, I want to be Kael's mate and only his.

However the highlight of my day was going home to Kael.

Almost everyday after school ended I'd shift and run home even through the boys weren't happy with me running alone through the wood with the rogues I didn't care I wanted to get home to Kael as fast as possible.

"Hello Rikki."

I smiled when I walked into the kitchen to grab an apple to see Jackson and Hayley at the table.

"Hey Hayley, hey Jackson what you guys up to?"

Hayley patted a seat next to her so I sat down between them, Jackson looked shattered. Kilah told me that because Kael's so shattered that Jackson's been doing all the Alpha paperwork and there is piles and piles of it.

"We were discussing Kael's condition, Hayley tried to help him walk a bit today and he fell. It's knocked his confidence a lot."

I sighed before give Hayley's hand a squeeze, I know how it feel to see his face fall when he falls. Every time he falls he looks like he's going to cry and it breaks my heart.

"He gets like that when we do it too. He thinks he's a failure but he's not, I guess we'll just have to remind him everyday that he's stronger then he thinks. How badly did he fall this time, the last time he had a bad fall he knocked himself out."

It was terrifying he slipped right out of my grip and neither me or Carter could catch him before he smacked his head off the floor.

"He fell backwards and smacked his back off the floor."

I sighed as I imagine him falling and the sound of his back slamming off the floor.

"Is he okay?"

They both nodded but I could see the sadness in Hayley's eyes she better not blame herself.

"Hayley you know it's not your fault right. He's slipped through my grip and Carter's before it's not your fault. We could always go it outside with the grass so he has a softer landing."

Hayley smiled at my idea, although Kael might disagree to begin with.

"Now Jackson why the hell do you look like your going to collapse if you stand up?"

He chuckled before drinking his hot chocolate or coffee it better not be coffee. I swear I'm going to throw all the coffee out of this house it's vile and it keeps you up when you need sleep.

"It's just the paperwork, sweetie. There tones of it I haven't had a full night sleep since you guys came back from the penthouse."

I shook my head, he and Hayley should be relaxing they are both quite young Kilah told me that they were both eighteen when they had Kilah and Kael so their only thirty-seven.

"Well I'll help you with it and I'm sure Dillon and Ryan will help you too you two should be able to spend time with each other, your both stressed out about Kael, the pack, the paperwork, the rogues, you need to relax. I'm sure you guys had plans of what you wanted to do but never got round to do why don't you do it leave the mess for me and the guys to clean up for once."

They are still young and I know wolves that would kill to be their age so they can travel or have some more kids or whatever they plan to do but never could.

"Well Jackson always wanted to have more kids and we always wanted to go away for a couple of days to the city were you all went."

We talked for a couple of hours before I went up to see Kael.

He was fast asleep so I quickly had a shower before changing and lying down next to him.

"Mmmm, Rikki?"

I turn onto my side and looked at him to see his eyes opened and a tired smile on his face.

"Hey babe, your mom told me you fell today are you okay?"

He took a deep breath closing his eyes for a second before opening them and looking at me, I could still see the pain in his eyes. He shouldn't be in pain his tablets should be helping.

"I'm alright little wolf, my back is a bit sore but I'm okay."

I kissed his lips before watching as he slowly fell back to sleep, I really wanted to tell him about my science project unfortunately I was paired with Danny a human who flirts with every girl that breaths.

I sighed before cuddling up next to him I'll tell him after school tomorrow, he needs to sleep.

"I love you Kael."