Chapter 15

"Good evening, Weasleys." I said innocently, trying to make my way over my dorm. But I was stopped by the twins as they ran towards me and grabbed a hold on each of my arms and dragged me out of the common room.

They took me down a corridor nearby and only let go of me once we were in a deserted chamber.

"What?" I snapped.

"How did you know about Bagman?"

"What were you doing with the Durmstrang boy?"

They asked at the same time, then turning to each other in confusion.

"I thought we agreed that we would first talk about that Durmstrang guy!" Fred retorted.

"No, that was your idea!" George shook his head furiously, and I saw the opportunity to get away while they were busy bickering. "I said that we'll see how she figured out about our plan and then we – Oi! Where do you think you're going!?"

They dragged me back and I groaned.

"Just spit it out, Hooper!" said George. "How did you know about Bagman?"

"You mean about how you won a bet with him at the Quidditch world cup but he gave you fake Galleons and so you want to black mail him into giving you your money?" I said with a mischievous grin.

"How on earth did you?" George mused in disbelief, but then quickly shook his head and said in a warning manner, "You can't tell this to anyone, okay?"

"I won't. As I'm sure you would never tell anyone my secrets, if you ever knew them," I said, glancing sideways at Fred, who was the only one who knew who I really was.

"She won't tell anyone, George." said Fred reassuringly, still looking at me understandingly. "And about the Durmstrang guy," he started, not smiling anymore. "Just... try not to get your feelings all messed up for him, will you?"

Both George and I stared at him for a few seconds in disbelief before his cleared his throat and quickly tried to change the subject by joking about Filch.

***

Before we knew it, the first task had arrived. We all had gathered in the Quidditch pitch which was now designed specially for the task, which was to fight a dragon.

Lee and I were sitting next to each other holding two seats for Fred and George who were giving out bets for the tournament.

They finally returned and took their seats when they called out Cedric to come out to the field. He was stressed, and he had a good reason to be.

Trying to dodge the dragon's fire, he transfigured a rock nearby into a dog to distract the dragon.

But I clutched onto Lee's arm when the dragon changed its mind halfway and sent fire towards Cedric.

A roar of applause filled the place as Cedric got the golden egg, even though he got burnt a bit, and so they took him away to a tent nearby so Madam Pomfrey could have a look at him and heal him.

    My stomach lurched each time I thought about him, but I couldn't get Dumbledore's letter off my mind. He had sent it to me on the same night I was planning on talking Cedric out of competing. Even though I was late to prevent it, Dumbledore had still sent the note to me, asking me not to meddle with time unless necessary.

What did he mean by saying 'certain sacrifices has to take place'? Was there something he knew that I didn't?

But trying to shake my head off the matter for the tome being, I joined Fred, George, and Lee in cheering the other champions on. I was way too familiar with Dumbledore and his way of keeping secrets.

***

Back in the Gryffindor common room, another party was thrown that night, way bigger and better than the last one.

"Blimey, this is heavy!" said Lee, picking up the golden egg and handing it to Harry. "C'mon, open it Harry! Let's see what's inside!"

The people in the common room cheered as Harry tried to open it, but when he did, a bad scream was let out that we all had to cover our ears until Harry had closed it again.

"What was that?" said Seamus Finnigan. "It sounded like a banshee. Maybe you have to get past one of those next, Harry."

"I thought it sounded more like Percy singing," said George. "Maybe you have to attack him when he's in the shower, Harry."

"Want some jam, Hermione?" Fred offered but when he saw the weird look she gave him he said, "The jams are fine. What you have to worry about is the custard creams."

Neville, who had taken a few bites of them, tried to spit it out. "Just joking, Neville." said Fred.

"Did you get all this food from the kitchen?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah. The elves are dead helpful." said George.

"And how can we get into the kitchen?" She continued.

"Easy," said Fred. "All you have to do is tickle the pear on the portrait of the fruit bawl and it giggles – why do you ask?"

"Nothing," Hermione said quickly.

"Going to try and lead the house-elves out on a strike now, are you?" said George. "Going to give up all the leaflet stuff and try and stir them up into a rebellion?"

Several people chortled, but Hermione didn't answer. Just then, Neville caused a slight diversion by turning into a large canary.

"Oh – sorry, Neville!" Fred shouted over all the laughter. "I forgot – it was the custard creams we hexed."

Within a minute Neville had turned back into human form. "Canary Creams!" Fred shouted. "George and I invented them – seven Sickles each, a bargain!"

Everyone laughed excitedly, but I knew none of them were nearly as excited as me, because I knew what task was going to come next;

The Yule ball.