Chapter 19

Ivan had started avoiding me after the Yule Ball. I even tried to approach him twice, asking if he was feeling better. But each time, he just looked around in horror and then without answering me, he paced away from me quickly. So I decided not to push the matter any further.

Fred, George, Lee and I were sitting in the Great Hall on the day that the new term had started, talking our way through lunch time.

     "Don't get me wrong, I think Hagrid's amazing," Lee started, "but he can't teach to save a life."

     "I think he's awesome," said George. "I mean, who else would breed Blast-Ended Skrewts in their own garden?"

     "Can you imagine some of them getting loose at Hogwarts?" Fred said with a mischievous grin. "It would be bloody brilliant!"

     "What did he teach you today, anyway?" I asked, taking a sip of my drink.

     "Thestrals," Lee answered. "They were pretty cool actually; mainly because we couldn't see them. They can only be seen by people who've seen someone die."

     "Oh! Which reminds me; I've been dying to ask someone this for ages!" I started excitedly, putting my goblet down and turning to face them. "Can the Thestrals see each other?"

      The boys were quiet for a few seconds before George said, "I... wow... I really don't know, Lexi."

     "I mean... they have to be able to see each other though." I said.

     "Why do they have to?" Lee questioned.

      "Well, because how on earth would they be able to make babies if they can't really see each other!" I exclaimed.

     The boys sniggered at that. "Honestly, Lexi. What's going on in that brain of yours?" Fred asked, helping himself to a few chocolate chip cookies like he always did.

     "You really don't wanna know." I said honestly.

     There was a minute of complete silence that Fred put down his fork, dazed, before saying, "Merlin's beard! Can they see each other!?"

     "I know, right!?" I huffed in frustration, chuckling afterwards.

     "By the way, speaking of Hagrid," Lee started. "Did you read what that Rita Skeeter wrote about Hagrid!? It was brutal! I mean, we knew he was probably half giant, but to write it out for everyone..." his voice trailed off in annoyance.

     "How is she doing it, though?" George mused. "How could she have heard such a private conversation?"

     Lee and Fred shrugged, meanwhile I said nothing, sipping on my drink in silence.

***

By the time February had come, people were looking forward to the second task, but before that, there was a flood of excitement at Hogwarts because of the upcoming Valentine's Day which was in two days.

I was sitting in the Gryffindor common room with Fred and George in our usual corner. That was when Lee Jordan entered the room and approached us with a smug face.

When he reached us, he took the empty armchair next to George with a proud grin on on his face.

"What?" said Fred and George together.

Lee rubbed his hands together in glee before saying, "Just asked Alicia Spinnet out."

"Oi! You promised you'd help us with making the love potions!" George exclaimed.