Chapter 39

At those words, Sirius abruptly stood off the piano seat and ran downstairs. Everyone else was coming out of their rooms, going to see what Mr. Weasley was saying.

     I was the only one who calmly walked downstairs, knowing that no extreme trouble was going to take place.

    "What do you mean, Arthur!?" Mrs. Weasley rushed out of the kitchen and asked. "What happened!?"

     "They say that he has used magic outside school again. He's already had his first warning, and for the second time, they expel students."

     "What!? He's done magic!?" Sirius asked with panic. "Why?"

     "He used a Patronus Charm, apparently."

     "But – but Harry would never use magic if it wasn't absolutely necessary!" Hermione retorted. "I know he wouldn't!"

     "I know this, Hermione," Mr. Weasley nodded impatiently. "But the ministry wouldn't believe that dementors were there without their order."

     "Well, what now!?" said Mrs. Weasley anxiously. "They can't just expel him!"

     "Dumbledore's now at the ministry," said Mr. Weasley. "He's trying to convince them to give Harry a chance for a hearing before they expel him. We'll just have to wait and hear the end of this."

     Everyone went their separate ways, writing to Harry and telling him to stay put and to look out for himself and not to act rashly.

Not too long after, the good news arrived that Dumbledore had convinced the ministry to form a hearing for Harry.

     There was a small gathering that same night to see who would volunteer to go after Harry the following day.

***

It was late at night that Ginny and Hermione had sneaked into Ron's room to discuss Harry's state anxiously.

     Yet I remained alone in our room, worried that I would let something slip if I joined them.

So I laid there motionless on my bed, staring at the ceiling as I let my mind wonder away.

I couldn't ask Sirius about our conversation anymore now that his thoughts were messed up enough already. I could never allow myself to be selfish and make it worse on him.

I tried to shake the thought away, telling myself that it wasn't an important matter even if he knew my mum. So what? It's a free country. People meet each other and there's no reason to make such a fuss about it.

I was deep inside my thought as silence haunted the shadowy room. But not a second later, a crack sound erupted the place and next moment, Fred appeared next to me on the bed, grinning as he laid there.

I gave a loud yelp at the sudden shock, pushing myself away in a quick motion that I almost fell off the bed.

"Woah, careful there!" said Fred, grabbing my hand and pushing me back on the bed as he laughed.

"Weasley, you git!" I smacked him playfully on the arm. "Why do you keep doing that!?"

"Cause it's fun," he said, chuckling.

"Well, one of these days you'll kill me by giving me a heart attack," I said. "And I promise you that I'll come back to haunt you and then I'll show you fun."

"Well, you can show me fun now," Fred's grin widened and I smacked him on the arm again. "Ouch! Just kidding!"

I laughed, shaking my head in disbelief. "Is that why you're here?" I said jokingly.