Chapter 16

"If Potter and Weasley would act their age for a minute and pay attention, I have something to say to you all," McGonagall said at the end of the class, pointing at Harry and Ron who were sword-fighting with the fake wands Fred and George had given them.

     "The Yule Ball is approaching; a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament, and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. And the Ball is, first and foremost, a dance."

     The class broke into giggles and whispers by those words.

     "Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the Ball will start at eight o'clock in the Great Hall on Christmas day and finishing at midnight."

***

By the next few days that the whole school was now aware of the Ball, all that everyone seemed to be able to talk about was the dance. Throughout which time, there seemed to be no sign of Fred and George around; probably because they were busy with inventing stuff for their future joke-shop.

     That night when I returned to the common room, I saw an angry looking Hermione sitting on an armchair in a corner, talking rapidly and furiously to Kathrine, the quiet blonde girl from our dorm.

     She was listening with such precise, not uttering a word as Hermione talked and merely nodded every once in a while.

     Curious, I walked towards them. "Everything okay?" I asked Hermione.

     "Just saying how dumb boys can get sometimes," she sighed furiously.

     "Why, what's wrong?" I questioned, sitting down next to them.

     "Ron and Harry think that I'm lying when I say I'm going to the ball with someone." she raved. "Apparently, they think that books is all I'm fit for."

     "But you know that's not true." I told her firmly. "You're a brilliant girl, Hermione. And those two are idiots for not realizing this; but they will eventually." I said, thinking about Ron. "It's not just about books; you're smart, kind, passionate, and you genuinely care for others. That's perfect enough."

     She finally managed to smile. "Thanks."

      "So who's asked you?" I asked, acting as if I had no clue.

     "Krum." She said and I faked a small gasp of shock, making her and Kathrine giggle.

***

The next day, I was sitting on my usual spot, against the tree by the black lake, skimming through the pages of my potions book.

     "I'm starting to think that this is your hiding place." A voice said and when I turned my head, I saw Fred walking towards me.

     "It's not really a hiding place when everyone passes through all the time," I said, pointing at the several packs of students talking a few feet away from where I sat.

     "True." He shrugged, sitting down next to me. "Why is it that whenever I see you, you're studying potions?"

      "I don't know, but I just find it fascinating."

     "Potions? Fascinating?" He repeated in disgust. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack, Professor Snappy?" I chuckled.

      "Thanks for not telling anyone about me, by the way." I said out of the blue, catching him off guard.

     "Of course. I would never." He smiled. Not a wicked grin; just a heartwarming gentle smile.

     Just then, my attention was caught when I heard someone shouting my name from afar.

     Turning our head, we saw Ivan running towards us, and for a second I thought that I heard Fred groan lightly.

      When he reached us, Ivan placed his hands on his knees, panting heavily. "I was – looking – all over – for you."

     "Are you okay?" I chuckled at his terrible state.

     "Yeah," he breathed a few times before standing straight and saying, "Can I talk to you for second then? In private?" He added.

     I looked at Fred apologetically and when he nodded, I squeezed his hands lightly, as if promising that I would soon return and we would continue.

     Standing up to my feet, I walked away with Ivan and when he was sure that nobody could hear us, he stopped and so did I.

     "I wanted to ask you a something." He said. "You can say no, of course."

     "Okay. What's up?"

     "Would you – would you like to go to the ball with?

     To this day, I don't know what got into me that I forced myself to nod my head slightly and say, "Alright."

     "Great!" He exclaimed happily. "See you then, Lexi," and with that, he took my hand and placed a small kiss in my knuckle, walking away afterwards.

     Biting my lower lip in excitement, I walked back towards Fred who was still sitting there, waiting for me, staring blankly onto the lake.

     "Hey," I said, sitting down next to him again.

      "He asked you to the Ball, didn't he?" He asked flatly, not looking at me.

     "Yup." I nodded lightly. "So, who are you going to ask to the Ball?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer. I had told Fred that I was a Muggle, and he knew that I had been sent here from the future, but he had no idea that I knew such details.

      "I don't know, yet." He shrugged. "Maybe Angelina Johnson? She's on the Quidditch team. She's pretty cool."

     I nodded happily. "You go get her, tiger." I teased and he laughed, but somewhat it sounded different than always.