Chapter 58

After we were done in Zonko's, I left the Joke Shop along with Lee, Fred, and George who were all carrying many bags filled up with the things they'd bought.

     We had spent some extra time in there, so Fred and George could observe which products students showed more interest in.

      But at last, it was time for their Hog's Head meeting and they had to leave.

     "See you guys later, then," I said with a wave.

     But Lee frowned as Fred and George tried to drag him away without attracting attention towards me, "But why isn't she coming?"

"To teach people the valuable lesson of minding their own business," said Fred, pushing him away.

I chuckled, but it soon faded away as I watched them disappear into Hog's Head, other students joining them eventually.

Pursing my lips together, I walked away through the snow, as it fell gently on me. I put my hands in my pockets to save them from freezing as I strolled around the village, stopping a few feet away from the Shrieking Shack.

I smiled to myself, knowing exactly what adventures had taken place here years ago. I sat down on the snow-covered hill, looking above me.

Remembering Sirius, I held the necklace he had given me, playing with it as it I still wore it around my neck.

I somehow understood how Sirius felt, locked up at Grimmauld Place when everyone else was out there, helping the order.

I felt the same way, only just not imprisoned; I had the knowledge to many things, but did not possess the power of doing anything about it. I couldn't even be a part of a small group of students, merely practicing magic.

      I don't know how long I've been sitting there, but I was snapped back to reality as a familiar voice suddenly said behind me,

"Look what do we have here!" Turning my head slightly around, I saw Draco Malfoy behind me, with Crabbe and Goyle by his side as they sniggered. "Where's your Weasel boyfriend?"

"No offense, but I'm really not in the mood to punch you right now," I said flatly, looking back again at the snowy grounds before me.

"Either that, or you've learned your lesson from Professor Umbridge," Malfoy said wittily.

He awaited my retort, but I only sighed; not in annoyance, but in sadness of having to cope up with Malfoy instead of being at Hog's Head with everybody else.

By that, from the corner of my eyes, I saw Malfoy frown in confusion and turn to face Crabbe and Goyle, muttering, "What's wrong with her?"

***

Days passed and the first lesson of Dumbledore's Army arrived. I sat in the Common Room by the windowsill, studying as I watched a few people leave to probably go to the Room of Requirements.

Being jealous at that moment was an understatement for what I was feeling, awaiting them to return.

I tried to distract myself with my Potions books and tell myself that it was for the best to not involve myself in it, but it surely didn't help when after a few hours, the students showed up once again, looking as happy as they could be with their first lesson.

     Fred and George greeted me after they'd returned and sat up with me a few hours longer until everybody else had gone back up to their dormitories and so the common room finally emptied.

     "I think I'll go to bed now," said George, yawning and getting off the couch. He then turned toFred, asking, "You coming?"

     "Nah," Fred shook his head, gesturing at me knowingly. "I think I'll just stay down a bit longer to talk."

     "Talk? Okay..." George grinned knowingly, winking at him.

     "No, I actually mean talk. I'm serious," said Fred.

     "Of course you are," George nodded sternly, but then winked again.

Fred shook his head, but gave up trying to convince him.

"Goodnight, then," said George and so with one last wave at us, he went upstairs.

     "So..." I started, when we were finally alone in the common room. "Did you have fun at your first lesson?" I asked flatly, not looking up from my Transfigurations essay.

      "Yeah, it was pretty cool," he grinned, but then pursed his lips together. "Wish you were there with us."

     "Me too," I smiled sadly, but then looked up with a frown, saying, "I still don't understand, though."

     "Don't understand what?"

     "That why I can see Hogwarts or the Knight Bus," I sighed in frustration. "There are so many stuff that confuse me; things that Muggles aren't supposed to do or see. But here we are."

     "Well... maybe you're a Squib?" Fred suggested hopelessly. "I mean, they can also see Hogwarts and the Knight bus. The only difference between them and wizards is that Squibs can't use magic."

"No, I can't be one." I shook my head. "Because in order for someone to be a Squib, you have to be born to at least one magical parent."

I huffed, leaning back against the couch, playing with the necklace Sirius had given me out of habit.

But just then, my eyes widened in realization and I sat up straight abruptly, looking down at the necklace.

"Oh, my God..." I gasped. "How could I not realize this before!"