Chapter 27

"Don't think we have forgotten about getting back at you for pranking us on our birthday, Lexi." said George when the train had finally stopped.

"Yeah," Fred nodded with a grin. "It shall be avenged."

"That's likely," I scoffed.

"Don't get all mighty and cocky on us, Hooper," said Fred. "We have all summer, after all. We'll get you good, at some point."

I groaned at that, but was secretly excited that I was going to spend the summer with the Weasleys at the Burrow. Or at least, those few weeks before we were going to move to Grimmauld Place; Sirius's childhood home.

"Fred — George — wait a moment."
Harry called after Ron and Hermione had left the compartment and the twins turned. Harry then pulled open his trunk and drew out his Triwizard winnings.

"Take it," he said, and he thrust the sack into George's hands.

"What?" said Fred, looking flabbergasted.

"Take it," Harry repeated firmly. "I don't want it."

"You're mental," said George, trying to push it back at Harry.

"No, I'm not," said Harry. "You take it, and get inventing. It's for the joke shop."

"He is mental," Fred said in an almost awed voice.

"Listen," said Harry firmly. "If you don't take it, I'm throwing it
down the drain. I don't want it and I don't need it. But I could do with a few laughs. We could all do with a few laughs. I've got a feeling we're going to need them more than usual before long."

"Harry," said George weakly, weighing the money bag in his hands, "there's got to be a thousand Galleons in here."

"Yeah," said Harry, grinning. "Think how many Canary Creams that is." The twins stared at him. "Just don't tell your mum where you got it . . . although she might not be so keen for you to join the Ministry anymore, come to think of it."

"Harry," Fred began, but Harry pulled out his wand.

"Look," he said flatly, "take it, or I'll hex you. I know some good ones now. Just do me one favor, okay? Buy Ron some different dress robes and say they're from you."

He left the compartment before they could say another word, leaving the twins dazed.

"Well, this is gonna be a crazy summer," I grinned, stepping over Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle who were still unconscious out of our compartment.

For the first time, I saw the twins completely lost for words as they placed the bag of Galleons inside their trunk, following me out of the train.

It was dark when we arrived at King's Cross, but I spotted Mrs. Weasley quickly, even though I'd never met her personally before.

She had just said goodbye to Harry that she spotted me and came forward with a broad smile on her face.

"You must be Lexi, am I right?" said Mrs. Weasley brightly.

"Yes," I nodded, raising a hand for her to shake. "It's great meeting you, Mrs. Weasley."

But ignoring my raised hand, she brought me into a tight hug. I took aback at first, but then hugged her back as well before she pulled away.

"It's nice meeting you too, dear. I mean, after all I've heard about you from the boys," she said, throwing a quick glance at one of the twins who was standing behind me.

"All bad, I hope." I said with a grin, making Mrs. Weasley chuckle.

We started walking out of the station that I said, "Mrs. Weasley, you have no idea how grateful I am that you let me stay with you for these few weeks. I really didn't want to be a bother to you–"

"–Oh, nonsense!" she shook her hand reassuringly before nearing me and continuing in a whisper, "Dumbledore explained everything to me."

"E-everything?" I stammered.

"Well, of course!" she then lowered her voice again and said, "I mean, he said the rest of the order would figure out soon enough, once we've all found a place to gather."

She then stopped walking all of a sudden, looking at me with what seemed to be pity.

"Oh, you poor thing!" she exclaimed, bringing me into yet another bone-crushing hug. "I can't imagine what you've been through, away from your family and your old life."

"Great, Mum already likes her more than us!" said George's voice behind us and so Mrs. Weasley finally pulled away.

"Oh, hush." she shook her head and went on walking.

"So how are we getting to your house, anyway?" I asked the twins as we were finally out of the station.

But my question was answered when Mrs. Weasley took out her wand arm and gave it a wave.

Swallowing, I went closer to where Mrs. Weasley was standing and said in a quiet whisper, "Excuse me, Mrs. Weasley?"

"Yes, dear?" she said, putting her wand back in her robe.

"Err – did you just call the Knight Bus?" I questioned, looking worriedly at the street before us.

"Of course," she nodded, looking at my nervous expression. "What's wrong?"

"Well... Muggles can't really see the Knight Bus." I whispered. "How can I get on it if I can't see it?"

"Oh," said Mrs. Weasley, looking like she had just realized where the trouble was.

Sighing, she gazed back at the street, waiting for the bus. "Well, if you can't get on it, I'm sure we'll find some other way to get you to the Burrow."

Suddenly, everyone's attention was grabbed when a whoosh sound erupted the place. Surely enough, it was the sound of the Knight Bus arriving.

"Err – well... perhaps you can get on it, even though you won't be able to see it?" Mrs. Weasley suggested, not sounding too sure herself.

But when she caught a glance of my horrified face, she quickly said in a reassuring voice, "It's okay if you can't see it, dear. I'm sure we'll manage. You don't have to worry."

"I-I'm not worried because of that." I muttered, frozen on my spot as I stared before me.

Looking confused, Mrs. Weasley asked, "Then what is the matter?"

I gulped in horror, looking at the large purple bus before me. "I can see it."