Chapter 24

Just as they had vowed, Fred and George did almost everything in their power to make me regret my prank on them in the next three months which passed.

I avoided taking anything from them in the time being, and didn't even dare touch a food they've been near while I wasn't around.

I came to deeply regret letting slip when my birthday was when they asked me smoothly, but a smirk appearing on their faces when I blurted out the date.

But I was thankful, because during that time, they made me forget all about my real life. They made believe, even though just for a short while, that I belonged there. That I wasn't just a Muggle.

But everything got real and I was forced to remember who I really was and what I knew, when the day of the third task had arrived.

The Gryffindor common room was packed with students, all talking excitedly and guessing who the winner was going to be.

Yet here I was, trembling at the thought of what was going to happen in a few hours. At the thought that Voldemort was going to come back, not just in the form of a fascinating book, but to ruin real lives.

But despite all that, I tried to force a smile as I spotted Fred and George in the common room sitting on separate armchairs, trying to draw red and gold flags on their own faces, yet failing miserably.

"What on earth do you two think you're doing?" I shook my head in disbelief, walking towards them.

"Art," they answered together.

"You call that art?" I snorted. "At least George's looks alright. But I have no idea what's that thing on your face, Fred."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Do you see me holding a mirror?" he started sarcastically. "Oh, that's right! No. This flag is as good as it can get, seeing as I can't see what I'm actually doing!"

"A blind troll would've done better than that!"

"Fine! You do it then, if you're so talented!" he forcefully handed me the paint palette. "Go on."

"Fine." I huffed and took the palette, sitting on the chair's arm and starting to work.

Fred was sitting as still as possible, while I wiped the paint he had put on his face with a tissue and started to draw another on his cheek.

"Ugh, I can't get it from this angle." I said mostly to myself, pulling away.

     Thinking fast on how to get a better angle, I stood off the arm and sat down on Fred's lap.

     "Close your eyes." I whispered.

"W-what?" he muttered, his lips slightly trembling.

"Well, I don't want to get any paint in your eyes." I shrugged.

"Oh... r-right," and so nodding, he closed his eyes hesitantly.

I took a bit of gold paint and dragged the brush towards his face, shakily finishing the flag.

But even though I was done, I didn't tell him to open his eyes. I just lingered there, looking at him with a feeling in my stomach I'd never felt before.

I could feel his heartbeat and just then I came to realize that his right hand was on my lower back. I felt my face flush before I cleared my throat and got off his lap. Fred abruptly opened his eyes, looking dazed.

"All done." I nodded awkwardly, putting down the palette.

By one last look at George, who was looking between us with pure shock, I said that I would be going back to my dormitory to get my jacket, just in case the weather was going to get cold.

Without looking back at the common room, I ran upstairs, slamming the door behind me and leaning against it in horror. My heart was beating so fast that I felt like I'd been running for hours.

What just happened?

***

We all went down to the field where the third task was going to take place. Everyone was there, from Mr. and Mrs. Diggory to Bill Weasley and Mrs. Weasley.

I gulped at the sight of Cedric's parents, and my heartbeat even got faster as I spotted Cedric as well.

I know I wasn't meant to meddle with time until Dumbledore saw it fit, but as if automatically, my feet carried me towards were Cedric stood, chatting with his friends.

When I reached him, I raised my trembling hand and patted him gently on the shoulder.

Cedric turned around, smiling at my sight. "Hello."

"Can I talk to you for a second?" and glancing at his curious looking friends, I added, "In private?"

Looking confused, he nodded and followed me a few steps away, where no one else could hear us.

"Look, Cedric... I need you to know that..." but my voice trailed off when I caught Dumbledore's eyes from afar, and saw him shake his head slightly.

"Yes?" Cedric questioned, causing me to turn my head on him again.

I shook my head, but then I just forced a smile up at him, saying, "Good luck."

I could tell that Cedric was confused, but either way, he smiled back ay me softly. "Thank you."

I went back to the stands where Fred, George, and Lee were waiting for me, my thoughts still on Dumbledore. What did he know that he wasn't telling me?

"You okay?" Lee asked as I sat down, but I didn't reply.

When the last task had started and the four champions disappeared into the maze, I simply couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't sit there and wait for Cedric's dead body to appear along with Harry.

I exited the place, ignoring the questions of the boys as to where I was going. I hid myself among the trees outside of the field, where I could still hear the sound of their cheering.

I want to go home to my family, I thought desperately, a tear rolling down my face. I couldn't bear staying there now that I knew what Voldemort was planning to do, yet a part of me saw it my duty to stay. I was shaking with a kind of fear I'd never felt before in my life.

I don't know how long I was sitting there, drowned in my own dark thoughts, but I froze on my spot as I heard horrifying screams from the field. And with that, I just knew.

It had happened.