Chapter 104

After leaving Slughorn's office, I felt like I was in a trance and my feet were carrying me forward without me even noticing them, his words echoing in my head in repeat.

     That picture... that name...

     It all made sense now. All that Sirius was trying to tell me, all that he didn't... Everything made sense about him and me now.

     Kreacher was right. He knew all along, and deep down I suspected a small part of it.

     But that picture was proof. That explained how I looked so much like Sirius. That explained how my eyes looked exactly like his.

     It made sense to me now that I was sent back in time to save Sirius, and that was the only reason.

     And that note which was sent to me months ago, saying 'Good luck, Lexi'...

     How could I have not recognized it before, when I used to see the same handwriting on a note stuck to our fridge on the morning of my exams, wishing me luck before I was to leave for school.

      But how could it have been true? All the facts that I already knew pointed against it.

     But then again, there was no mistaking that face, no matter how much younger it looked.

      I had been raised all my life to believe one thing, and now all that was shattered by one single name that Slughorn had told me.

     I wanted to go to sleep as soon as I reached the common room, seeing as I could no longer bear my painful headache, hoping that I would wake up the next day and find out I was dreaming.

     But I couldn't. Not without talking to Sirius. And this time, I wasn't going to wait. I wasn't going to let him off. He kept saying that he wasn't sure, but now I was sure about it.

     So as soon as I got to our dorm, I took out a parchment and quill and immediately started scribbling on,

Dear Sirius,

     I hope you're doing well. I don't know where you currently are, but I need to talk to you. It's urgent.

     Please send back a respond with this owl and give me a date and time as when you can meet me at Gryffindor common room's fireplace.

      Please answer me as quick as possible,
     Lexi

     Without thinking twice about it, I put the letter in the envelope and ran out of the common room.

     I took on different secret passageways which Fred and George had showed me in the past two years to dodge Filch and Mrs. Norris, and so finally got myself to the Owlery.

     I took off one of the school's owls and gave him the letter. "Take this to Sirius Black," I said.

     And with that, the owl immediately took off and flew away. I watched it go further and further away into the sky, finally disappearing out of sight.

***

Two days had passed and I still hadn't received a reply from Sirius, which got me worried for his well-being.

     I had almost completely lost my appetite ever since that night and barley slept at nights, the anxiety bending me down.

      I couldn't pay attention to the classes anymore, which was a matter of surprise even to the teachers, seeing as I usually showed the most interest in the lessons.

     Hermione asked me what had gotten into me on several occasions, but I didn't budge and got out of answering each time. I felt like I couldn't talk to anyone until I had talked to Sirius.

     But at last, on the third day of waiting, his letter arrived by the morning mail as I sat in the Great Hall, staring down at my breakfast plate.

     When the owl landed before me on the table, I immediately seized the envelope from him and almost tore it apart as I started to open it, reading through hurriedly.

     Dear Lexi,

     I hope everything's fine. I'll see you in the common room tonight at midnight by the fireplace.

     Sirius

***

Time had never gone by slower as I awaited the clock to turn twelve that night. Everyone had already gone to bed by eleven as it was a school night and I was thankfully left alone in the common room.

     I paced around the room nervously, not being able to control my racked nerves that I knew no miracle could soothe them.

     I kept thinking on and on about what I was supposed to say to Sirius. How was I supposed to start that conversation?

     By the time it neared midnight, I had made up my mind that I would get straight up to point. That was the quickest way to answers.

     I had waited long enough. I was in the dark for sixteen years. He couldn't keep me hanging anymore.

      It was now past midnight and yet no sign of Sirius came. I dropped myself down by the fireplace, glaring into the flames, as if that could magically bring him to me.

     But after long minutes when I was just about to give up, the fire made a crackling sound and moments later, Sirius's head appeared into the flames.

     I stared at his face as it relaxed when he saw that I was alright and not hurt in any sort of way. And I didn't blame him to think that something was seriously wrong, given the way I had written to him.

      "Hey, Kiddo," he smiled at me. "What's up–"

     "Save it, Sirius!" I said sharply, cutting him off, and then got straight to the point. "How long have you known!?"

     "Er...." Sirius started, confused. "How long have I known what?"

     I paused for a few seconds as I stared at him through the flames with both fury and horror in my eyes, before I finally said,

     "How long have you known that Regulus Black was my father!?"