Chapter 164

I stared down at the short letter which Draco Malfoy had sent me in shock. I obviously already knew that the Ministry was going to pass the Muggleborn registration commission.

But what caught me off guard was that Draco had went through all the trouble to send me this, even though he was surrounded by Death Eaters day and night. Yet he had risked it all to warn me.

Draco already knew that we were cousins and that I wasn't a Muggle-born. But the trouble was that I had lied to him and said that Sirius was my father, so he wouldn't find out that Regulus was alive.

I made a mental note to tell this to Sirius later on, but just then the door to the room opened and Fred walked inside, his red hair wet after the shower and already in his comfortable clothes.

"Hey, what's that?" he asked, pointing at the letter in my hand.

I don't know why I started to panic at that moment. Maybe because Fred and I had a fight about Draco months ago, when he had saw the two of us in Hogsmeade.

Or maybe it was because of the fact that Draco had kissed me last year, but I hadn't told Fred about it yet.

"Er... nothing important," I tried to shake the matter off, but I couldn't hide the letter now. It would've looked suspicious even though in reality, it really was nothing to worry about.

But Fred had already walked toward me to look down at the letter and so I showed it to him.

"Muggleborn registration — are they mental?" Fred jeered before looking back at me with widened eyes. "What's that supposed to mean!?"

"It means that the Ministry is rounding up Muggle-borns. If they can't prove that they have magical relatives..." I gulped at that, "the Ministry will imprison them."

"And if the Muggle-borns refuse to go with them?"

"They'll be keeping Dementors in the trials at the Ministry. If the Muggle-borns refuse, they'll be given the Dementor's Kiss."

I saw the color drain from Fred's face. "But — what if the Muggle-borns run away before the Ministry calls on them?"

"Well... if they're lucky, nothing would happen. But if the Snatchers catch them, they'll kill them," I said in a small voice, remembering Nymphadora's father, Ted Tonks.

"But who would warn you about this?" Fred questioned, staring down at the short letter. "It can't be from the Order, because they already know that you're aware of everything. But who's D.M... hang on!" Fred suddenly grimaced. "Don't tell me this is Malfoy!"

"Fred —"

"Why would he care!?" Fred said furiously. "His lot hate Muggle-borns!"

"He knows I'm not a Muggle-born!" I said loudly. "I told him we were cousins! But I said that I was Sirius's daughter. I lied and told him that when my mother, Lisa, was pregnant with me, Sirius was sent to prison and then my mother married a Muggle man named Roger Hooper. That was the only lie that could make sense at the moment."

"But why would you even tell him that you're cousins in the first place!?"

I looked away at that. The truth was, when Draco had kissed me, he didn't know we were related and so when I harshly put him down, he took offense. So I had to tell him that we were cousins and that I was a Black so he could forgive me. So that's why I had come up with the lie of being Sirius's daughter.

"Well?" Fred raised a brow at me.

"Okay... listen, I have to tell you something," I started anxiously. "But... please don't get mad."

"What?"

I took a deep breath before finally saying, "Draco kissed me."

There was a short pause.

"He WHAT!?"

Moments later, before I could open my mouth and explain, the door to our room opened and George peered inside.

"Are you guys okay?" he asked. "I thought I heard yelling."

"Y-yeah, everything's fine," I said, but Fred looked far from fine as he paced around the room while I sat on the bed, my heartbeat speeding up.

When George left the room and closed the door behind him again, I sighed, standing up and walking toward Fred.

"Look, it was after our fight and Draco thought that we had broken up. He didn't even know that we were related at the time," I tried to explain. "But I pushed him away the moment it happened. And later on I explained to him that we were cousins, so he would forget about me."

Fred seemed to have calmed a bit at my words, but he still looked away grumpily. "I knew I should've turned him into a pumpkin when I had the chance."

I laughed, shaking my head at him and so I leaned in, softly wrapping my arms around him. Fred hesitated at first, but then he sighed and hugged me back.

"Ugh, forget about it," he said. "There are more important matters at hand." He then walked toward the bed and sat down on it, deep in thoughts. "If the Ministry finds you, we can lie and say that you're a Weasley cousin. We'll even dye your hair red and everything. Our family's too big, no one's gonna suspect that you're not one of us."

"That's not the point!" I shook my head, going forward to sit beside him on the bed. "I don't want to involve you, or anybody else for that matter."

"Hey," he said, moving closer to me and holding onto my hands. "We're in this together."

I smiled, but shook my head lightly. "I just don't want you to get into any trouble. Not because of me."

Fred grinned and then leaned in to peck me softly on the lips, whispering, "You're worth the trouble."