Chapter 101

After leaving Dumbledore's office, I went to the Room of Requirements. As I reached it, I closed my eyes, thinking, I need a place to practice magic.

The next moment when I opened my eyes again, an enormous door had appeared before me.

Smiling uncontrollably to myself, I opened the door with one hand as the other held on tight to my wand.

I felt an exciting shiver rush down my body when I entered the room. As soon as I asked for an opponent to practice on, a wooden dummy appeared in the shape of a wizard with a wand in its fake hand.

I had come here last year with Fred and had tried the Disarming Spell on this same dummy, but of course it hadn't worked. But I knew this time it was going to be different.

Raising my wand towards the wooden wizard, I gulped as I stared at it intently, feeling my heart throbbing against my chest.

And at last, I opened my mouth and cried out, "Expelliarmus!"

Not a second later, with a jerk of a red light, my spell hit the wizard's wand, it snapped away from its hands, and so I caught it in mid-air.

Well, this is going to be fun, I thought to myself and smiled, raising my wand again.

***

I don't think I got to sleep more than two hours that night when Hermione woke me up for breakfast, saying that she was meeting Harry and Ron down in the common room and asked me to join them.

       I hadn't got the chance to greet Parvati, Lavender, and Kathrine last night so I waved at them all, smiling warmly.

      Lavender and Parvati waved back, muttering a quiet 'hey' as they left the dorm together.

      But Kathrine kept her blue eyes on me, as if I was suddenly the most curious thing in the world.

      Growing slightly uncomfortable, I took Hermione's sleeve and dragged her down to the common room, where we were joined by Harry and Ron.

We started walking down towards the Great Hall, whispers following us as everyone stared at Harry wherever he went.

"It's rude to point," Ron snapped at a first-year boy, who had been muttering something about Harry to his friend.

"I love being a sixth year," Ron went on. "And we're going to be getting free time this year. Whole periods when we can just sit up here and relax."

"We're going to need that time for studying, Ron!" said Hermione, as we set off down the corridor.

"Yeah, but not today," said Ron. "Today's going to be a real doss, I reckon."

"Hold it!" said Hermione, stopping a passing fourth year, who had a lime-green disk clutched tightly in his hand. "Fanged Frisbees are banned, hand it over," she told him sternly.

The scowling boy handed it over, ducked under her arm, and took off after his friends. Ron waited for him to vanish, then tugged the Frisbee from Hermione's grip.

"Excellent! I've always wanted one of these."

Hermione opened her mouth to retort, but it was drowned by Lavender Brown who giggled at Ron's remark as she passed by.