Chapter 143

***

***

Nearly an hour had passed. Hermione was pacing anxiously around the common room as Ron stayed immobilized on the couch, deep in his thoughts.

"Do you think it's true?" Hermione asked, but I didn't know whether she was talking to me or to Ron, seeing as she wasn't even looking at us. "It can't be... surely not..."

"Well, it wouldn't hurt to have a look out," said Ron, shrugging unsurely.

"Yeah... I suppose..." Hermione muttered, mostly to herself. "We should probably go call Ginny and Luna for help."

Once again, I realized that they had forgotten Neville, even though he was originally supposed to be in the battle of the Astronomy Tower.

This had been happening ever since last year when we had gone to the Ministry to save Sirius. Because of my mistake in meddling, Neville didn't show up there.

I had to make sure that he would get on the right path in the end, for he was the one who had to kill Nagini.

But I was going to fix everything tonight. I had a plan. All I had to do was to make sure he fought in the battle tonight.

Hermione then hurried up the girls' dormitory and returned a few minutes later with Ginny by her side.

Checking the Marauders' Map for any sign of Filch or Mrs. Norris on our way, we got ourselves toward the Ravenclaw tower. It took a long while for Hermione to be able to contact Luna through her communication Galleons, but she finally met us halfway.

"So what are we doing?" Luna asked in her soft and dreamy voice, looking around at us cheerfully.

"We're going to have to keep an eye on Malfoy and Snape tonight," Hermione explained, handing the Marauders' Map to Ron and taking the Liquid Luck from him.

"Blimey," said Ginny, "is that —"

"Felix Felicis, yes." Hermione nodded, looking nervous. "Harry believes that we'll be needing it tonight and asked us to — to share it between ourselves."

"What's the plan?" Ginny asked without hesitation, looking fearless.

"Me, Ginny, and Lexi will be going toward the Room of Requirements for look out," said Ron. "Meanwhile Luna and Hermione can go toward Snape's office. Just in case."

"Right," Hermione cleared her throat, raising the vile of Felix Felicis in her hand. "One sip will keep us going for an hour or two; but because it's just one sip, it will only keep us lucky enough to avoid too much trouble. It obviously won't be as powerful because of the small amount, but it will keep us from being severely injured."

With that, she handed it to Ginny. She gave the vile a look before taking it from Hermione and taking a small sip and then gave it to Luna.

Hermione and Ron had their sip too before finally giving the vile to me, but I only drank half of what was remained inside it and kept the rest for my plan.

       The moment I swallowed it, I got a feeling inside my heart as I felt it lift up. I had a confidence I'd never experienced before.

      "Okay, let's go," Hermione said and everyone nodded.

       Her and Luna then made their way down toward Snape's office meanwhile I followed Ron and Ginny upstairs toward the Room of Requirements.

      But in mid-way when we reached a corridor which could lead to the Gryffindor common room, I stopped in my tracks, saying, "I'll catch up with you guys later."

       "What are you talking about?" Ginny questioned but I only smiled.

       "I'll explain everything later. Gotta trust Felix," I said and with that, I ran up the corridor and reached the portrait of the Fat Lady as quick as I could.

       When I got back into the common room, as if without thinking and out of my own control, my legs carried me up the boys' dormitory.

       I knocked on the door belonging to the sixth year boys, but without waiting for a respond I opened it, something within me telling me that I could find Neville inside.

       And sure enough, when I walked inside the room, I saw Neville sitting up on his bed, reading his Herbology book.

       "Lexi?" He looked up at me, looking alarmed. "Are you okay?"

        I shook my head. "I need your help — we need your help."

       "Wh-what's wrong?" he asked anxiously, putting his book aside.

      Then, as if the Liquid Luck was talking and thinking instead of me, I walked toward him and suddenly said, "It's the Death Eaters. They've gotten inside Hogwarts. We're outnumbered."

      His eyes widened in worry, staring at me in disbelief. "But surely Dumbledore can stop them —"

       "He's not here tonight," I said urgently.

       "Yes, but —"

       "This is what the Dumbledore's Army was formed for, wasn't it? To fight back? To get back at them for all they'd done?" I said more firmly. "This is our fight too, Neville. And this is our chance, now that they're all here... Alecto and Amycus Carrow, Fenrir Greyback, Gibbon, and many others, including Bellatrix Lestrange."

       As if that last word had somehow triggered something from within him, I saw a hint of anger flicker in his eyes, his face tensing up.

       He opened his mouth to say something, but he was cut short when we heard a scream from outside the dorm's window.

      We both ran toward it, looking up at the Astronomy Tower where the Dark Mark was splattered above it across the sky.

       "The Dark Mark," Neville said in a hollow voice, staring at it in horror. "That means they have killed someone..."

       I knew that wasn't true. I knew that the Death Eaters had casted the mark as a bait for Dumbledore to lure him up there and corner him. But the Felix gave me a gut feeling not to tell this to Neville.

       As I watched him from the corner of my eyes, I saw his face washed with emotions; first it was shock, then fear, but at last he frowned as he felt the anger surging from within him.

      "You're right," he finally said firmly, moving away from the window hurriedly and grabbing his wand. "This is my fight too."

       I smiled, handing him the small vile of Felix Felicis. "Here, drink up. You'll need it."