Chapter 31

"What?" said Fred, gulping.

     "I really didn't want to think about it, but I don't want you to find out when it's too late."

     "Merlin, you're freaking me out, woman! Just say it already!" he chuckled, but I couldn't get myself to smile back.

     "Surely you know that... when the time comes... I'll have to return to my own timeline. Back to 2007." I started hesitantly. "And now it's 1995. It won't feel like a second to me, or my family and friends. But it means that if I leave now, I would be absent for you for the next twelve years."

     "Wow," was all Fred managed to say after long seconds of silence.

     "But that's not the worst part."

     "What could possibly be worse that not having you around for the next twelve years!?" Fred let out with worry obvious in his voice. But then he cleared his throat, "I mean... we will all miss you."

     "The worst part is that," I took a deep breath, "I might not even remember you. I may forget all of this."

     "W-what do you mean?"

     "I mean that there's a great chance that they might obliviate me."

     Long seconds passed, but Fred had not still answered. He simply looked forward, frowning.

    "I don't know why I would even tell you this," I muttered. "But I guess... you're the only one I can really talk to about it."

     But Fred remained silent. His expression didn't even change as he stared ahead.

     "Can you please say something?" I pleaded, finally looking at him. But he avoided my gaze. "Fred?"

     "What do you want me to say!?" He snapped, taking me by surprise. I'd never seen him like this.

     "W-what?"

     "Forget it." He mumbled bitterly, standing up from the grass.

     Frowning in confusion, I promptly stood up and followed him as he tried to walk back towards the house.

     "Hold on!" I called after him, trying to catch up with his quick pace. "Will you tell me what's wrong? It's not like it's doing you any harm!"

"How – how could you possibly say that?" said Fred, looking hurt. "You think I'd forget you?"

     "It's the truth, Fred."

     "No, it's not," he shook his head feebly. "Because I don't think anyone is capable of forgetting the first girl they ever liked."

I fell silent, unable to say anything in return.

     Both of our faces fell, bewildered.

      I could barely feel my legs as his voice and words echoed in my head.

"W-what did you just say?" I mumbled, my lips slightly trembling.

He seemed lost for words as he opened his mouth a few times, only to close it again. But then he suddenly shook his head in remorse.

"I'm sorry – I-I shouldn't have said that – forget what I said–" he tried to say.

But I broke him off as I leaped forward and brought him into a hug. There was a few seconds of silence before he said,

"Is that your way of telling me to shut up?" he said jokingly and we both laughed.

     "It's my way of telling you that you're an idiot." I pulled away, still chuckling.

     "Thank you, madam." He bowed his head slightly.

     "It wasn't a compliment."

     "Yes, it was, and you know it."

     I smiled. We'd already had that same conversation before. Exactly in the same words that we just used now.

     It made me think of how simpler things were back then; when I still thought that this was a dream, and couldn't bring myself to believe anything.

     How – I just realized at that moment – that I was looking at Fred differently than I used to before.

     "So..." Fred started awkwardly, "would you do me a favor and act like this never happened and save me from the embarrassment?"

     I smiled at him, but shook my head.

     "I can't forget this, Fred."

     "Why not?" He went pale.

     "Because I don't think I want to." I whispered, moving closer to him.

     I took his hands in mine and looked into his eyes, full of emotions I couldn't read. But I wanted to know them all. I wanted to know him. The real him.

     Slowly and hesitantly, his eyes carried down to my lips, and back again to my eyes.

     He then raised his hand and placed it gently on my cheek. And just when I thought all light had gone from the world, he leaned forward and pressed his lips against mine, kissing me like there was no tomorrow.