Chapter 102

My eyes widened as I stared at Snape in shock, while everyone's gaze fell on me. They were all probably wondering how someone who couldn't to a simple Disarming Spell until quite recently had managed to knock over the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

      And to be honest, I was pretty much wondering the same thing.

      I gulped as I watched Snape angrily get up from the floor, dusting off his robes as he glared me.

"That would be ten points from Gryffindor," he snarled, taking out his wand to fix the tables which had hurtled over.

An uproar of complaining arose from the Gryffindors, and even a few others about how unfair it was, but Snape only snapped sharply, "Silence!"

***

After we left the class, Hermione paced quickly by my side, still surprised. "How did you do that?"

     "I — I don't know," I said earnestly.

     "Is it possible that — maybe — your magic has been locked up all these years and now it's just... bursting out?" Ron suggested.

     Hermione rolled her eyes at that, but I only looked down, thinking. I didn't know if Ron's phrasing was correct or not, but that was exactly what it had felt like.

"Great, people are staring," Harry said blankly. "And for the first time, I don't think I'm the reason."

I laughed, shaking my head. "But maybe... Ron's right."

"What?" Ron and Hermione said, both surprised.

"Look, I don't know what happened back there, but I wasn't expecting that to happen at all."

"Well..." Hermione started thoughtfully. "Maybe it's got the same affect as an Obscurial."

"A what?" we all said at the same time.

"Oh, honestly, don't you lot ever read?" she rolled her eyes again as we turned over to the next corridor.

We waited eagerly for her to explain, all our eyes now on her.

"An Obscurial is a young wizard or witch who developes a powerful magical force, as a result of their magic being suppressed," Hermione explained. "But that can't be the case for you, Lexi, because Obscurus is a dark force that uncontrollably busts out and attacks. But I just thought that maybe it could be something of the sort. You know... your magic suddenly gushing out powerfully after being concealed for so long."

"Hey! That's exactly what I said!" Ron protested angrily, causing Harry and I to chuckle.

     The same day, we had our first Potions lesson with Slughorn as we went down to his class in the dungeons, and I was more excited than ever.

Potion had always been my favorite, and now that Snape wasn't there to take points from me for studying ahead of class, I could freely enjoy it.

    "Now then, now then, now then," said Slughorn. "Scales out, everyone, and potion kits, and don't forget your copies of Advanced Potion-Making..."

     "Sir?" said Harry, raising his hand.

     "Harry, m'boy?"

     "I haven't got a book or scales or anything — nor's Ron — we didn't realize we'd be able to do the N.E.W.T., you see—"

     "Ah, yes, Professor McGonagall did mention... not to worry, my dear boy, not to worry at all. We've got a small stock of old books here."

     And I knew by that, that this was the beginning of The Half-Blood Prince.

     "Now then," said Slughorn, returning to the front of the class after Harry and Ron had taken their books. "I've prepared a few potions for you to have a look at. Anyone tell me what this one is?"

     By the look of it, I knew straight away that it was Veritaserum. But Hermione's hand shot through the air quicker than mine and Slughorn pointed at her.

     "It's Veritaserum, a colorless, odorless potion that forces the drinker to tell the truth," said Hermione.

     "Very good, very good!" said Slughorn happily. "Now, this one here is pretty well known... Who can — ?"

     Hermione's hand was fastest once more. "It's Polyjuice Potion, sir," she said.

     "Excellent, excellent! Now, this one here... yes, my dear?" said Slughorn as Hermione's hand punched the air again.

     "It's Amortentia!" she said excitedly. "It's the most powerful love potion in the world, and it's supposed to smell differently to each of us, according to what attracts us."

     And sure enough, I had already smelled rain, new books, and the delicious scent of chocolate chip cookies.

     "May I ask your name, my dear?" said Slughorn.

     "Hermione Granger, sir."

     "Well, well, take twenty well-earned points for Gryffindor, Miss Granger," said Slughorn genially.

     "Sir, you haven't told us what's in this one," said Ernie Macmillan, pointing at a small black cauldron standing on Slughorn's desk.

     "Yes. That. Well, that one, ladies and gentlemen, is a most curious little potion called —"

      "Felix Felicis," I cut him off and said before I could stop myself. Slughorn was now looking at me, so I went on. "It is also known as Liquid Luck. It makes you lucky for a limited time. But it also causes giddiness and recklessness with overuse and it's extremely toxic in large quantities."

      "Quite right, Miss...?"

     "Hooper, sir."

     "Well, take ten points for Gryffindor, Miss Hooper. Yes, it's a funny little potion, Felix Felicis," said Slughorn. "Desperately tricky to make, and disastrous to get wrong. However, if brewed correctly, as this has been, you will find that all your endeavors tend to succeed... at least until the effects wear off."

     Everyone seemed to seat at the edge of their seats by those words, looking interestedly at the potion.

     "And that," Slughorn went on, "is what I shall be offering as a prize in this lesson. One tiny bottle of Felix Felicis to whoever brews the best Draught of Living Death, in page ten of your books. Off you go!"

     There was a scraping as everyone drew their cauldrons toward themselves and started on.

     Unlike Harry, I didn't have much to complete the potion with, other than the empty book I now had in hand and one or two tricks I remembered from the Half-Blood Prince. But in the end, it didn't seem as bad as others'.

     "And time's... up!" called Slughorn finally. "Stop stirring, please!"

     Slughorn moved slowly among the tables, peering into cauldrons. He made no comment, but occasionally gave the potions a stir or a sniff.

     At last he reached our table. He gave Hermione's potion an approving nod before looking into mine, a smile forming on his lips.

     "Very good, Miss Hooper," he beamed at me. "Very good, indeed. This might be the best one yet."

     But then, when he saw Harry's, a look of incredulous delight spread over his face and his eyes widened.

     "The clear winner!" he cried to the dungeon. "Excellent, excellent, Harry! Here you are, then, here you are — one bottle of Felix Felicis, as promised. Use it well!"