Chapter 8

When Nicole and Danielle got into the house everybody who was playing attention to who walked in, spoke to Danielle.

"Hey D", one guy said.

"Hey, Will", Danielle said.

"You sure do know a lot of people for somebody who just got to New York", Nicole whispered.

"I know right", Danielle said. "Him, her, her and him go to our school", she said as she pointed to each one.

Nicole looks at them. "Yea, I've seen her before", Nicole said.

Danielle sees a guy come out the bathroom. "And that fine boy right there does not go to our school. His name is Devon", she said. "And actually the only reason I came"

Nicole looks at him and immediately looks away with a troubled looked.

"What?", Danielle asked.

Nicole shakes her head. "Nothing", she said lying.

Danielle makes a face.

They both put the snacks and drinks down and sit down with everything else.

As Devon comes and sits down he glances at Danielle and Nicole. Then looks at Nicole for a moment.

Nicole doesn't look at him but she feels that he is.

"You look familiar", he said.

Nicole looks at him and shakes her head, "Nah but I get that alone", she said.

He continues to look at her for a moment then recognizes her. He clears his throat and begins to whisper. "Hey, you mind if I talk to you for a second?", he asked.

"No", she replied.

"Please. Just outside", Devon said.

"I guess you still don't know what no means", she said a little to loud which causes everybody to look at them.

He gets a little embarrassed and nods.

"I just wanted to say I was sorry", he said.

"Sorry can't change the-", Nicole stops herself. "Danielle I gotta go". She whispers in Danielle's ear, "and trust me he is not the one"

"Wait. Why?", she asked.

Nicole walked outside and pulled her phone out.

Danielle comes outside too. "Hey what's wrong? How do you know him?", Danielle asked.

"I don't wanna talk about it", she said.

"...well... if you're going to leave, I guess I will too", Danielle said. "But we need our snacks first because I don't have money to be givin out"

Nicole smiles a little. "I know that's right. I'll be out here", she said.

Danielle walks into the house and Nicole stopped smiling and looked down.

Suddenly, she gets a call from her mom.

"Hello", Nicole said after she answered the call.

"Hey, honey. Your dad is coming up from Florida next weekend with your brother Joshua. So, you finally get to meet him", Asia said.

"I would get a chance to meet my brother when I'm not talking to dad", Nicole said as she rolled her eyes.

"Stop being like that okay? You know how overprotective your dad is and he has grown from that okay?", Asia said.

"And he'll probably continue to be the same way mom and I'm tired of it", Nicole said.

"Weren't you the same girl who wished she had a dad? Now you got him and you don't want him?", Asia asked.